Coby x Helmeppo- Don't Let Go

Hello! This one is reletively angsty to start. I'm open to requests so if you have a ship in mind send it my way! :) I'll aso be posting this on Fanfiction.net eventually.

Don't Let Go

Coby stumbled, desperately trying to find his best friend in the wreckage. He had to find the other alive. The blast had leveled everything within a two mile radius. Everything had been destroyed. So he HAD to find his friend, the one person he cared about most, alive.

As the marine picked his way through the rubble he tripped, falling foreward onto the ground. When he looked up he saw the blonde's sunglasses in front of him. They were almost completely shattered and the frame was bent. Coby felt his stomach drop as he stared at the sunglasses. Grabbing them he started foreward once more.

He felt the damage before he saw it. His hand entered a puddle of sticky, warm blood. Dropping the sunglasses into the red liquid, Coby stared at his friend's lifeless body. The young man started sobbing uncontrolably as he gently held his friend close.

The blonde's body was cold and lifeless, a gaping hole in his stomach area the obvious cause of death. He'd taken a direct hit from the beam that leveled the town.

Coby brushed some strands of golden-blonde hair out of his dead friend's face. He sobbed harder, realizing that he'd taken his time with the other for granted. There was so much he'd wanted to do with his friend that he'd never get the chance to do. He'd never again see the other's rare smile. Or hear his laugh.

"Please, wake up." He whispered, pressing his forehead against the other's. "You have to. What about finding Morgan?"

He felt Garp's hand on his shoulder as the older man started to pull him away, saying "He's gone. There's nothing you can do for him now."

Coby screamed, strugling against the other's hold. "NO! HELMEPPO!" He wailed. The young marine wanted to be near his friend once again. "NO! NO!"
--------------
Coby woke with a start, screaming "NO!" And sobbing. He was in his room and there was movement beside him as the lamp flickered to life. Helmeppo sat up, his hair a complete mess and a look of consern on his face.

"Coby? Hey, what's wrong?" Coby looked at the blonde, slowly realizing everything had only been a nightmare. But it had felt so real. The shorter marine grabbed Helmeppo and hugged him tightly.

"I-I had an awful nightmare. You... you died." He was still sobbing. Helmeppo put his arms around his friend comfortingly.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm still here. There's nothing to worry about." He said quietly in an attempt to calm the other. "Come on, let's lay down." The blonde readjusted so they were on their sides, but Coby was still in his arms.

"Hey Helmeppo?" Coby asked after a few minutes of silent sobbing.

"Yeah?"

"Don't let go."

The blonde managed to kiss the other's forehead scar and pull him closer. "Don't worry, I won't."

Coby slept through the rest of the night peacefully, knowing his best friend was and wouldn't be leaving.