Past Secrets

Coby stared at Helmeppo from across the table. He hadn't thought about it much before, but at the moment he couldn't get it off his mind.

"Hey, 'Meppo?" The other looked up at him with an eyebrow raised. "Why do you use knives and not a gun or something."

Helmeppo shrugged. "I can't shoot."

"But... when we first met that was your weapon of choice."

"It wasn't loaded."

Coby balked the statement. "You mean, you threatened me with an empty gun?"

"That's right."

He hung his head in shame. "I don't know what's worse, you doing that or me falling for it." Coby glanced back up at his partner. "Next thing you'll be telling me is you didn't even plan to go through with killing Zoro."

The blond sipped his tea, eyebrows raised.

"Oh my god. We did all that for nothing."

"It's amazing what people believe when they think you actually have power." Helmeppo looked down at his drink, seeming a bit off. That much Coby had known. He'd never had real influence, only banking on everyone else being too scared of Morgan to hurt him. Coby slid closer.

"Oh well, I guess there's nothing to do about it now." He planted a quick kiss on the other's cheek. "I love you anyways."

Helmeppo grinned sheepishly at him and they both laughed. It was nice, looking back on the past, and realizing maybe it hadn't been so bad after all.