Frost

Disclaimers: This is VERY long, lots of angst, don't worry he's ok. Also, sorry for any inaccuracies. I did some research but tbh there was a lot of guessing.

---------------------------------------------

"Don't go to sleep." The child heard his marine savior mumble. With the adrenaline and fear pumping through him sleep would be impossible. Had it not been for the marine, the child would have been killed by the pirates before the storm hit. He huddled closer to the marine, trying to stay warm in the man's arms. The marine may have been carrying him, but the snow was within arm's reach. Briefly he opened his eyes to see the red rut carved out by their unsteady path before closing them again.

"There's a cave. We'll stay there." The voice was weaker than before.

Inside the cave wasn't a whole lot warmer, but it protected well against the wind. Several yards in the child winced as his savior fell to the snow-covered ground.

"D-don't g-go t-t-to sl-sleep." The child echoed the marine's words. There was no response. The child stayed where he was, curled up in the marine's arms. There was nowhere else to go. He looked up to see his savior's face frosted and blue, covered in frozen blood. "C-c'mon. Wa-wake up." Still no response. The child pressed himself against the other's chest, despair gripping him. "Help!" He cried, "Someone, please!"
------------------------

Coby pulled his thick coat tighter around him. Being out in the storm was a bad idea, even for the ice villagers. But with a child and marine missing, there wasn't much choice. They were prepared, though. Ice village guides and nurses were assisting the search and two Snow Wagons carried supplies- one general and one set up to be a makeshift infirmary. 

"Do you see anything?" Coby shouted over the wind to a nearby guide.

"Yes sir! There's a trail here. But we must hurry if we are to follow before the storm fills it!" Coby gestured to the rest of the group and began to follow the guide. The further they went the deeper the tracks were, and more evidence showed itself. The snow was tinged a dark color. Blood. It had to be. That wasn't a good sign. After what felt like forever Coby spotted a cave. He pointed it out to the guide.

"They must be in there, I'll go ahead and see." The guide nodded and he was off, trudging fast through the snow. At the mouth of the cave he could hear a small voice.

"Help! Someone, a-anyone!" Coby rushed inside. Here the blood remained red on the snow, as no new powder covered it. The trail ended at a snow-dusted marine with wildly tangled blonde hair. The tall, thin form was unmistakable.

"Helmeppo!" The cry was almost a sob. Coby ran to the man and went to roll him onto his back, only then noticing the small, shivering form in his arms. The child looked up.

"P-please. H-he wo-won't w-wake up."

"Shh, Caleb, it's ok. You're safe now and so is he." Coby wanted to believe his own strained words, but the other marine felt cold and lifeless. Please, he thought, please be alive. Don't let me be too late. Just then the others arrived, and the two nurses rushed over. One scooped Caleb up and carried him to the Snow Wagons to get warm. The other kneeled across from Coby and began ripping open the blonde's shirt.

"Is he-" The nurse shushed him and pressed and ear to his chest. She waited a few seconds before-

"Damn it! Captain I'm going to need your help." Coby nodded. She tilted Helmeppo's head back and told Coby to hold him. "When I say 'now' breathe into him twice, got it?" He nodded. CPR wasn't a good sign. He did what he could to suppress the panic filling him. Helmeppo didn't need him losing it now. Only a minute had passed of her quickly pressing down on his chest before she snapped "Now!" Coby did what he'd been told and had learned in the marines- nose pinched, chin up, two short breaths. As she continued Coby thought briefly on how, of all the times he'd imagined their mouths to meet, he never considered it may happen like this. Another "Now!" and Coby repeated what he's done before. He flinched at the sound of snapping bone. Another "Now!", another repeat. Twice more they repeated. Coby was just about to give up when...