004. bikini bottom

persnickety  ⋆

persnickety .ೃ*:
|
! CHAPTER FOUR !

   "It's been a week and four days of nothing

   "It's been a week and four days of nothing. Nicole, you know peace comes with a time limit." Jerry had been badgering his wife about preparation for a week in full. They were familiar with the process of things dying down before it got a whole lot worse and he wasn't too keen on sitting around and waiting for the trouble to come to them. Jerry could remember the last time they'd lived through this kind of thing. It scared him.

   Nicole understood just how horribly he felt, knowing what a toll it took on him just a few years ago. Staying quiet, she only further proved that talking about the situation was something she'd hoped to avoid.

   "Jerry... Can we deal with this when our daughter isn't here? I don't want her getting nervous so, drop it." She was well aware that talking about their issue had to come around sooner or later. Later was easier. Later meant she had time to sit in her problem, waiting for the answer to arrive like it always did.

   "Think about it." Jerry finished, a lasting look of disappointment carved into his frown. He couldn't remember a time he didn't trust his wife wholeheartedly but in certain situations, she made it unbelievably difficult.

   Few moments had passed when Nick came charging down the stairs, the only thoughts swirling in her head being just how uncomfortable the bathing she was wearing felt on her body. Caroline suggested — no, insisted they wear a two-piece or don't show up at all and Nick, for one, wasn't the type to cower away solely out of discomfort.

   Her large strides to the kitchen echoed throughout the well-lit hallway as she sauntered into the small room. The tension in the air nearly cut her in half as she took notice of the odd silence between the two adults. Although it wasn't hard to catch sight of considering, they stood on opposite sides of the kitchen avoiding eye contact. Or any contact for that matter.

   "Darlene and I are going to that carwash thing at school. I know I told you already but... yeah." She unknowingly fed into the awkward situation that was her parents, cursing herself for even speaking. Nicole and Jerry watched as their daughter ushered herself out the door without so much as a goodbye before separating even further across the room.