010. upperclassmen only

persnickety  ⋆

persnickety .ೃ*:
|
! CHAPTER TEN !

   The sound of a camera shutter pulled Nick from her deep sleep

The sound of a camera shutter pulled Nick from her deep sleep. She opened her eyes only to find her father standing by the door with his digital camera placed just in front of his face. Jerry lowered it, a cheesy smile taking over his bearded mouth. He looked like a soccer mom watching her son score his first goal.

Having not seen either of the girls move or Nick open her eyes, the man slowly and quietly shuffled back out of the room muttering 'they are adorable' before finally shutting the door. Caroline was buried under a mountain of blankets she had taken from the closet last night and she was almost barely visible.

Nick was about seventy percent positive they were late for school but her parents didn't seem to care. If anything, knowing what Nick dealt with on a daily basis, they would rather she stay inside.

Alas, it was Wednesday morning a Nick was anything but the unscholarly type. She had never skipped a class a day in her life.

The first thing she did was open her window, breathing in the last of autumn's breeze that was slowly slipping away to winter. She stretched her body, wincing at the cramp in her leg before standing back up and walking the few steps to her bathroom.

   As her foot came down on the bare tile, Nick's eyes shot open. It was freezing and the shock made it sting a little but, it woke her up. It also reminded her of what she didn't do.

   "Jeremy. Shit."

Nick darted back to her bed, grabbing her phone off its charger. She wasn't expecting much, maybe a few texts from him wondering where she was but the screen was blank. He hadn't texted at all.

   Maybe he wasn't upset. He probably thought she just fell asleep or got distracted with something important.

   "He called last night." Caroline's spoke, her voice groggy from sleep. "Really late, after you fell asleep."