Steal Magnolia

"Holy mattress money!"

Her brother shoots her a look. His smile creeping wide. "What?"

"Hit the jackpot, man. Check it."

She throws him a wad of cash from a hole under the mattress. Her face shining in mischievous glee.

He looks at it a long moment, turning it over in his hands. "This isn't the best idea you've ever had."

"Better than most." She throws him another stack and pats his shoulder. "You want to be a pilot, or what?"

"Can't we figure out some other way, Maggie? Some honest way?" He sighs twiddling the cash with a pained look. "I mean, stealing from the old man? That's pretty dirt low."

"He's practically old as dirt. He won't notice it's gone. And if he does, then I'll pay this back to him along with that other debt I owe him." She stuffs a few hundreds in her pocket.

"Other debt? How much?" He looks at her. His lack of surprise making her smile and shrug.

"Eh, couple hundred."

"Dollars. You mean a couple hundred dollars right?"

She shrugs again, replacing the mattress and swinging her keys in the air. "Sure." She pops a bubble with her gum.

"Lying doesn't become you, Mags."

She laughs heading out the door of the bedroom, swinging on the door frame. "And stealing does?"

"I'm just saying, you owe a lot of people a lot of money. How much? A couple hundred...what?"

She frowns as they make their way into the kitchen. She swings around the cabinets, rummaging through them. She munches on some saltines as she flips on the coffee pot.

"I don't see what the big deal is, Max." She shrugs and leans against the counter with a lazy smile. "I got you into flight school, remember? The least you could do is thank me for all this trouble I've gone through for you."

He draws his lips into a line and raises a brow. She sighs and rolls her eyes.

"I owe the old man a couple hundred thousand, alright?"

"Thousand!?"

"Awe don't get your boxers in a wad! I can take care of it."

"Oh yeah? You and what job?"

She chuckles. "Listen, bark at me when you get a good job and aren't asking me for help. Oh, you smell that?!" She sticks her nose over the coffee pot and takes a big whiff. "The old man's got some good brew here. Man! I ain't smelled nothing that good since that old coffee place went out of business. What was it called? You remember?"

"Kelly's Coffee. I think some woman bought it and fixed it up. Called The Hard Deck now. Some kinda bar."

Max rumages through the fridge to find some cheese.

"The Hard Deck, huh?" She takes a sip of the brew she made and hums with delight. "Might just have to check it out."

"Just don't spend more than you can afford." Max pokes her arm. "You tend to do that. Not to mention biting off more than you can chew."

"You just worry about keeping your place in the academy, alright? I can hold my own."

He nods. After a few seconds of silence, she hugs him.

"See you later, man. You know how to get in touch."

"Yeah. Oh and for the record."

She eyes him after stopping halfway through the front door.