Change My Mind (Pt.2)

Your phone rings loud in the middle of the 24-hour library. Usually, you remember to put it on silent, but you have been waiting all day on one particular phone call, and you didn't want to miss it.

Of course, you would never admit that. You don't want it to seem like you look forward to any interaction with people.

"And here I was, happy that my phone was quiet all day long." You whisper, making your way out the door to talk. "I almost didn't bring it with me."

"Good thing you did, huh?" You can practically see Bob's sweet smile brighten your world a little. "Been missing me, have you?"

You glance down at your watch. 7:58 PM. "You have two minutes. What do you want?"

"Hold on. I saw this in a movie once." He hangs up.

You glare down at your phone in confusion and then hear footsteps quicken behind you. You ignore them.

"On your left!" A hand taps your shoulder and you watch Bob fly by you and then halt a few feet away. Spinning back, he smiles wide and holds his arms out as if presenting himself as a trophy.

"What do you think?"

You furrow your brows at his tan navy suit and sophisticated stance as he raises his head stoically.

"About the reenactment or the costume?" You raise a brow, shuffling your bag further up on your shoulder.

"Costume? I will have you know this is government issued attire. I will not have it undermined as cosplay." He nods affirmatively.

You reach him and try to hold back a smile. You succeed. "So, what's this about? How did you know I was here?"

"Over our phone call yesterday, I remembered that you said you would be here. So, I took it upon myself to come personally and invite you to a place where they sell flavored cream of ice." He wiggles his brows and smiles.

You roll your eyes. "I'm lactose intolerant."

He lifts a finger then stops for a second to think. Blinking awkwardly at you. "Yogurt then?"

"Thanks, but I'll pass." You walk by him and he spins around to follow you.

"Why?"

You furrow your brows and give him a look.

"What?" He shrugs and grins. "You got something better to do?"

"No. I just don't want to be seen in public with you. People might get ideas."

"Would that be such a bad thing? I mean it might dissuade people from thinking you're some witch that hides up in a cave casting curses on people."

"Do people think that?"

He shrugs with a sly grin. "What do you care anyway? It's not like you like them enough to be concerned with what they think of you, right?"

You purse your lips. "I don't like them at all."

"Too true. Now, I'm going to give you a second chance because I'm nice like that. So, about that yogurt?"

You roll your eyes and continue walking.

"Come on. I'm about to go on a big mission here in a day or two. I'd really love for just once if you would go out with me. It's just for a few minutes."

Minutes. Two. You glance at your watch. "Sorry, but you are five minutes past your radio silence time so...peace out."

He calls to you and causes you to stop your march to your car. "If you don't like yogurt then we could go grab a coffee. Or maybe go to the theater? I hear they have some good ones playing tonight. Terminator, Alien, Predator."