Epilogue

“What do you mean by that, Fu Sinian? Are you just going back to your old ways now? If you aren’t planning to take me to such an important business banquet, then which beautiful assistant will you be taking instead?”

“It’s a business banquet, and there will inevitably be drinking involved. It’s so soon after you gave birth, so…”

“What’s wrong with that? Is there some reason I can’t drink? Did the doctor say I couldn’t drink? I understand everything, back while I was pregnant you were willing to make all sorts of promises and guarantees, but now that the baby has been born you’ve flipped your face and won’t recognize anything you said before, right? These past three years, you’ve never taken me to any of your cocktail parties or business banquets, and I only ever went to your company one time. It turns out that you just don’t want to admit our relationship in front of outsiders, right? Before you were always going around with that Qiao Jiao, so who has it changed to now? Tell me!”

“Don’t mess around. You know that’s not what I meant!”

“Mess around? If I’m the one messing around, what do you call all those times you had other women accompany you to parties?” Yu Duo continued tearfully, “In the past, I used to spend every day waiting for you to come home, to the point that my whole life solely revolved around you, and even on the nights when you didn’t come home at all, I never said a word of complaint. But now you just think I’m messing around? It’s because you already dislike me, right?”

Seeing that she was about to dig up all these old scores again, Fu Sinian felt his head swelling painfully, and he quickly interjected, “Don’t be paranoid. When did I say I was going to take another woman to the party?”

As their quarrel was heating up, Aunt Lian couldn’t help but try to persuade them from the side: “Sir, madam, you shouldn’t quarrel. Try to calm down.”

Actually, Aunt Lian wasn’t too worried about the madam, rather, she was more worried for the sir.

After all, a little over a month ago when Yu Duo had given birth, Fu Sinian had rushed into the delivery room and held her hand to accompany her throughout the whole process. As a result, when the baby was finally born and Fu Sinian came out of the delivery room, he had several red marks on his face and his hands, and one entire arm had been bruised black and blue from all Yu Duo’s pinching.

Fu Sinian heaved a deep breath and reached up to massage the throbbing veins in his forehead. “Auntie Lian, you can go first.”

“Ah, understood.”

Once Aunt Lian was gone, Fu Sinian spoke to Yu Duo calmly: “First of all, I have no plans to take another woman to the banquet this evening. Second, I didn’t want to take you along because there will definitely be drinking at tonight’s banquet, and you haven’t been in good health ever since you gave birth, so right now, you should avoid drinking as much as you can. Third, didn’t we agree that we wouldn’t mention about the past anymore?”

“Don’t mention it anymore? Sure, now that the child has been born, we should just forget all about it, right? We should just pretend it all never happened, right?” Yu Duo spat sarcastically.

Fu Sinian suddenly felt that he had made a mistake.

He should never have tried to reason with a woman, let alone a woman who had just given birth.

“Okay, I’m sorry, I was wrong.”

He spoke as if he were making a great concession.

“Huh, so you know that you’re wrong too? Then where did you go wrong? You tell me! What did you do wrong, and what are you going to do to fix it?”