Growing Tensions

Ignoring the cool breeze of the night, you faced forward and walked alongside the rest of K/DA. It was late in the night, and both you and the girls were out in Piltover, the City of Progress, walking side by side as you searched for the nearest place to eat. After your antics in Zaun, K/DA decided it would be better for everyone if you moved back topside for a few more days. You had no objections.

Piltover was a thriving city, even in the dead of night. Innovative technology, art and craftsmanship surrounded you as you strolled through the streets of town. The city was a stark contrast to your home, the Undercity. You'd only ever been up here a few times in the past. One visit ended quite explosively.

You could hear the girls chatting amicably from beside you. Ahri and Evelynn led the group as Akali and Kai'Sa followed, beaming with curiosity as they looked around the unfamiliar city. They all wore disguises to conceal their identities.

Kai'Sa had jumped around here and there during her youth, but she never had the chance to experience Piltover. One thing she never got tired of was seeing how uniquely distinct each region was from the last. As such, she couldn't help but let her eyes wander. She looked up at the tall buildings, and then down to the concrete floor. Then she looked to her right, seeing her friends, and finally, to her left, where she found you.

While she certainly enjoyed admiring the intricate details of the city's architecture, she found herself gazing at you the most. The moonlight shone all around Piltover, but it felt as though it was just on you. 

Ever since that night you saved her from those thugs, Kai'Sa had been feeling odd. Her face would warm up and her heartbeat would steadily increase whenever she was around you. She was confused, unsure of what to make of her feelings, which tended to be increasingly more difficult to control in your presence.

As Kai'Sa stared intently at you, the two of you ended up making eye contact. You just flashed her a smile, and she bashfully returned it. She hovered closer to you, trying her utmost to conceal how she was feeling.

Kai'Sa: "I like it here. It's different to the other places I've been to."

You simply nodded.

Y/N: "It certainly has its charms."

Kai'Sa looked over to you, raising an eyebrow. She could hear the doubt in your voice.

Kai'Sa: "Sounds like you have a different opinion?"

Y/N: "Maybe a little. In my experience, it's always been the people who've ruined Piltover for me."

As someone who has also experienced how unwelcoming people can be, especially to Vastayans like Ahri, Kai'Sa could see why the city wasn't your favourite place to be. To make matters worse, you were an outcast. An individual of a forgotten and oppressed people. There was no doubt in her mind that you had faced discrimination due to your ethnicity.

Y/N: "Mind you, I've only been up here a few times, so things might be a little different than I remember."

Kai'Sa: "Yeah. I moved around a lot as a kid because my dad's job forced us to relocate all the time. Some schools I ended up in weren't very welcoming, so I understand feeling a bit isolated. I actually started spending a lot more time alone than with other people."

This came as a surprise to you. She brought up feeling lonely back at the after-party, but never really explained why.

Kai'Sa brought herself a little closer. You could feel your arm occasionally brush up against her as you walked. There was a moment of silence before she finally spoke, albeit quietly.

Kai'Sa: "I know you've been through a lot of loss, too. It must have been hard."

You chuckled and lowered your head, staring at the floor.