PROMETHIUM

Izumi Shinso is not born to be a hero. This is a fact of life. A fact in the same way the sky is blue and quirks are heredity. In the same way her brother, Hitoshi Shinso was born to be one. This fact is not quirk based. Rather, it's shown in a five year old Hitoshi's actions. From playing Heroes and Villains with children on the playground, to 'protecting' his sister from bullies.

Unlike Hitoshi, Izumi finds the ever changing morality of the Hero world unappealing. Izumi is a child who prefers science above any sort of heroic games. Which is odd. Not odd because of gender, but odd due to neither of her parents having a taste for the scientific world. A child aiming to be a hero? Standard, normal even! A child wanting to be a chemist, especially before even knowing their quirk? Strange. But Mr. and Mrs. Shinso did their best to put their concerns aside. After all, the children were happy, and that's what was supposed to count.

Izumi finally invents something at four. It took some pushing from the adults around her, mainly her Father. Not to create, but to rather shut up and finally invent. Izumi had an unfortunate condition of running her mouth continuously about all things science. From the periodic table to the discovery of quirks, Izumi talked to any adult and every adult. She had even begun to pester her father in his native language, English, about scientific discoveries within America.

"Umi," Atticus Shinso tiredly sighed one day long after he had just finished another shift for the Psych Ward within the hospital, a few blocks from the quiet street where the Shinso's lived. His wiry hands taking off his shoes slowly while his purple eyes took in his precocious daughter. Izumi had been waiting by the door since her Preschool got out, which was a few hours earlier. Eager to ask her father yet another question about her new favorite scientist, which currently was Marie Curie. "Have you ever thought of inventing something of your own?"

Izumi had blinked, the way you blink after you've sneezed. Her father had asked the most complex question in English she's been asked. And while her child brain attempted to understand, he had ruffled her hair, leaving the coat room.

Later at dinner, Izumi found her answer. "Marie Curie didn't invent." She pursed her lips, scrunching her nose at her newly cold soba. "Isn't discovering a form of inventing?" Atticus countered, ignoring the pointed glare of his wife.

Izumi took a bite of her icy soba. Chewing while she'd mulled over his words. She hadn't ever thought that way. Her father was sort of right, she supposed. "I'm home!" Hitoshi had shouted, ruining her thought process. Her brother came running in from the coat room. Dirt covering a good chunk of his face and hair.

"My goodness!" Ema Shinso gasped at the state of her son. Specifically the way he managed to get the newly cleaned floor dirty once again, "What happened?" Hitoshi gave a toothy grin, quickly washing his hands in the kitchen sink as he began to regale an epic playground battle. "Well, today on the playground the new kid..."

Izumi tuned him out; lacking the attention span for a long story. Instead she ate her noodles, staring at the gap of having lost his first tooth two weeks ago, the small gap had yet to recover even a little yet. Izumi was immensely jealous of this, for in her eyes losing a piece of calcium phosphate was the coolest thing you can do. But nonetheless, while her father's point is forgotten at the dinner table, Izumi's mind is fixated. 'Inventing something of her own.'

————-
A/N
New and improved first chapter.