routine

you wake at six thirty, crawling out of the comfort of your warm bed into the new day. you yawn and stretch as you get ready for school, prepping yourself for the long day ahead of you. birds chirp and brand new beams of sunlight slip through the cracks of your curtains.

your neighbor's chickens cluck loudly as you begin to make your breakfast in your small kitchen. because your parents always seemed to be working to provide for you, you practically lived alone in your tiny house.

you cut two bagels and put them in the toaster, humming a song to yourself as you started a pot of coffee and took out the cream cheese from the fridge.

you spun away from the fridge to the wooden island, taking out a plate as the bagels popped up. 

snatching the bagels out of the toaster, you threw the hot bread onto the plate, hissing as you shook your fingers of the hotness. you grabbed a butter knife, and used that to spread the cream cheese on both bagels.

you put the sides together and wrapped both in paper towels as you walked over to the coffee pot, pouring its contents into your tumbler.

before adding the lid, you mixed in sugar and milk to make it how you liked it, and then took a sip to determine its worth.

after deciding that it was to your liking, you put a lid on it, slung your backpack over your shoulder, grabbed both bagels (after much struggle) and headed out the door, locking it behind you.

you started towards your school, taking your time to admire the scenery of your small rustic town as you walked and ate.

after moving here as a spoiled 10 year old, you grew to love the town, and its occupants.

as you approached the school, you heard pounding footsteps and heavy breathing behind you, and you smiled at the sound.

the footsteps began to slow as they approached you, panting taking its place. you handed a bagel to the boy who slowed to walk next to you, thanking you between pants.

you turned to admire the face of the boy, thomas, as he wolfs down a bite of the bagel. 

"buenos dias," you say, an amused smile taking up your face. he turns to face you, cream cheese on the sides of his full mouth.

he smiles at you with food in his mouth, making you cringe and look away from the sight. "buenos dias, princesa," he responds, making you chuckle and shake your head at the nickname.

on your first day of school after the move, you were disgusted at most everything there, so you brought your own lunch and acted as if you were superior. the other children noticed your disgust, and began to call you "princesa"

now it was a term of endearment, as you all grew to be great friends. thomas was the main person who used the name the most, though, as he saw you the most.

thomas reached for your tumblr full of coffee, bagel already half eaten and a sly smile on his face. you rolled your eyes playfully and gave him it, ignoring your fluttering heart.

so you had a crush on him. what about it?

it was bound to happen. the close contact you two had and the way he looked at you and protected you all these years had you falling, inch by inch, into the overwhelming ocean of love.

but it was unrequited, and would probably be, forever.

so even with your crush on him showing everyday in your daily life, you still got new crushes, and boyfriends, and you told him about all of them.

he took a long sip of your coffee, cringing when he stopped.

"demasiado dulce, princesa," thomas groaned, wiping his mouth.

"solo es raro," you retorted, "¿que incluso le gusta su cafe negro?" he chuckled at that, shaking his head.

"did you see the new car when you came in?" thomas asked, switching to english. you frowned at his words.

"no..?" you said, pondering how you could have missed it. "huh. i usually see that kind of stuff."

"ah, they probably just came right after you. guess your observation skills aren't what they used to be, huh princesa?" he said, stressing the "princesa". 

you tried to bite back a smile as you jokingly scoffed. "at least i'm not super old, abuelo." he scoffed as well, a smile on his face as he shook his head. "no, actually, you wouldn't even be an abuelo. you would be a bisabuelo." you teased.

"i'm literally only 16, princesa. guess you're too dumb to be able to count huh?" thomas snapped back with a smile stretched out on his face. you put on your best fake offended look.

"ew, ¿por que estan coqueteando?" david diaz laughed, slinging an arm around you and the other around thomas. you cringed as his sweaty armpit touched your shoulder, and you pushed him off, your heartbeat speeding up the tiniest bit.

damacio diaz came to walk next to you, laughing along with his brother. thomas turned his head the other way, scoffing.

"we weren't flirting, pendejo." he said. "we're just friends!"

the three words were what you've always heard, but your heart still panged in your chest. you plastered a cringe onto your face.

"tendria que estar loco para que me gustara d esa manera." it wasn't a lie. sometimes you thought you were crazy for liking him like that.

danny diaz, the last of the diaz brothers, finally caught up with the four of you, panting and sweating, his hair stuck to his forehead.

you cringed at the sight, handing him the paper towel you used to hold your bagel, which you were almost finished with.

he thanked you between breaths, patting his forehead with it. 

you all stood there, you standing in front of danny as he caught his breath. you couldn't even imagine what it would be like to run that much in the early morning, as you could barely run the mile in pe class.

the bell ring, but only you made an effort to move. "come thomas, to history we go!" you said, false enthusiasm lacing your voice. 

he cringed at you. "do we even have to go?" he whined.

"yes, now, you guys need to get to your classes too." you responded, grasping thomas's arm, ignoring the feel of his muscles under his red flannel and pulling him towards the direction of history. "see you at lunch!"

:-----:
i changed pe to lunch bc i assumed that their pe period would be last since the diaz brothers left then

also ive got a great idea for the next chap 😏

the h**s gonna love this
:-----: