what'd i miss?

the rest of the day you were silent.

people stared at you and whispered, but you didn't care. all you could think about was what you'd ruined between you and thomas.

you met the new pe teacher, mr white. you didn't remember much about his introduction, just his name.

after that you walked home, in a trance. your legs moved as if you were on autopilot, your subconscious taking the reigns as you thought.

when you reached your house, you snapped out of it, all that was occupying your brain at the moment was the white car in your driveway.

your eyes widened and your heart raced in excitement as you ran to the door, taking your keys out of your backpack out of habit and then putting them back in a hurry when you realized the door was open.

you opened the door slowly and shut it, ears keening for a response to the sound. when you didn't hear one, your frowned.

"mom? you here?" you asked as you kicked off your shoes, holding your waterbottle in your hand as if a weapon just in case it was an intruder.

"honey? you're home!" your mom's muffled voice came to your ears, making you sigh in relief. you bit your lip in excitement.

your mom barely ever came home, she was always "too busy at work". you knew that she was cheating on your father with some other doctor at the hospital, and he knew as well, that was why he was never here either. you didn't care though. you were happy to have at least one parent in your house.

"yeah!" you responded, eager, yearning. "when'd you get home?" you passed the entrance room and looked around for where she might be.

"i'm in the kitchen, darling," she called. "and i got back home a couple hours ago. thought i'd visit my daughter." you noted how she didn't say anything about your father, but you ignored it.

"that's great!" you said, finally seeing her in the kitchen. your eyes widened slightly, looking at the new things about her that you hadn't seen last time she visited.

"my baby! wow, how tall have you grown?" she said, reaching for you and pulling you into a hug. "sorry i've been gone so long, work's been keeping me on call 24/7 lately and it's better if i'm closer to the hospital, you know?"

you nodded. "it's no problem, i know how important your work is." you felt tears threatening to burst into your eyes, but you held them back. she pulled away from the hug and smiled at you gratefully, making you feel all giddy inside.

"thanks, love. i made some snacks if you want it." she gestured to the plate of cookies and cut up fruit on the island.

"thanks!" you said, sitting down on the island table stools and digging in. you smiled giddily as you ate your snacks like a little girl.

the last time she had done this for you was actually when you were a little girl though. when you three were a big happy family, two parents perfectly in love with a lovely little girl.

your mom got a notification on her phone which brought a smile to her face, reminding you those days were over.

"who is it?" you asked quietly, stabbing a watermelon cube with your fork. she looked up at you and stopped smiling.