3 - Secret Headquarters

so there's no good reason in make believing that we could ever exist again.
- memories by conan gray
––––––––––––
OCTAVIA'S POV: JACK KINCAID RESIDENCE

"I hit the balls, and it opened up and I can't-"

"It's okay, I understand," Barry said, interrupting a stuttering Charlie who was trying to explain how he had just opened up a secret entrance to who knows what in his father's office, "Your dad's a freak," A keypad then extended itself forward, like it was waiting for someone to unlock it.

"Whoa," Lizzie gasped as the 4 of us closed in on the pad, Charlie staying behind, not noticing we were all walking towards it.

"Wait, careful, careful!" He yelled.

"How do we open it?" Barry asked, completely clueless. Me and Charlie slowly turned our heads towards him as Lizzie hit some of the buttons.

"Are you blind?" I whispered.

"We need a code," Lizzie said after getting it wrong, making the gadget beep, a small light below it flashing red, "This is just like an escape room, scan the room for clues," Everyone dispersed, searching the shelves, closets, drawers, under the couch?

"It's numerical," Lizzie stated, "So that rules out childhood pets, birthplace... When's your parents' anniversary?" She asked, making me accidentally choke on my spit.

"They're divorced," Charlie said in an almost joking voice.

"How about your dad's birthday?"

"November 18th," Charlie responded, closing the drawer that he was looking through. Lizzie entered the date, but it declined again, giving me an idea of what the passcode may be.

"Or..." I said, walking towards the keypad, Lizzie stepped aside for me to try it, "His beloved son's birthday," I said, typing it in with no hesitation. Lizzie looked to her left to find a framed picture that was taken on Charlie's 4th birthday, the date signed at the bottom right of the photo.

"Oh, hey! Happy almost birthday!" Lizzie said, looking at the photo after the light had flashed green, the gears and mechanics of the huge gate opening up, everyone's eyes diverting to it. Smoke ejected from the seam of the gate to reveal a glowing patterned room, Lizzie gasping as Maya's mouth gaped open.

"Looks like an elevator," Charlie said.

"To what? Go upstairs?" Maya questioned.

"That's kind of lazy, isn't it?" Berger pointed out.

"Maybe he just has a secret basement where he keeps kids," I joked.

"My dad's not a serial killer, Octavia," Charlie said, turning to me. I shrugged, giving him a 'you never know' look.

We all walked into the so-called 'elevator', the bright walls stinging my eyes.

"This is why my devices are on dark mode," I complained, nudging Barry.

"Does it not just feel sad when you look at your phone? I don't understand you dark mode users," Lizzie argued.

"Why is there only one button?" Charlie asked, staring at the big red button that everyone knows, you should never touch. Lizzie and Maya clasped their hands together nervously, waiting in anticipation. Maya and I stared at the button aggressively before turning to face each other, a small smirk appearing on our faces at the same time before we both seized for the button, Maya managing to get to it before I could. Berger realised what we were about to do, and even shook his head at Lizzie, trying to tell her to make us stop.