6 - Mission is a Go

tell me who I am, guess I don't have a choice. all because I liked a boy.
- because i liked a boy by sabrina carpenter
––––––––––––
CHARLIE'S POV: SCHOOL

"Holy shit holy shit holy shi-" I began rambling as I ran towards the school building, grasping the straps of my bag, Octavia beside me. Berger, Lizzie and Maya had already rushed inside, abandoning us to park the vehicle ourselves, "I knew I shouldn't have driven that thing!"

"Too late now!" Octavia said, running past me.

"Crap!" I said, slipping on the slope at the front of the school, grunting as I hit the floor.

"Idiot!" Octavia yelled from in front as I scrambled off the floor, racing to the front gates of the school. I quickly caught up to my locker which was just a few lockers away from Octavia's, unzipping my bag and dumping all the books in my bag into the narrow space, "Come on, Char!" She hurried, books already in hand.

"Give me a second," I said, stuffing my bag into the locker and shutting it with my back as I rushed to the classroom. I burst into the classroom, almost tripping into it before I caught myself.

"Welcome, Mr. Kincaid. What a nice way to enter my classroom," Ms. Squint announced as everyone's heads whipped up and at me. I could hear footsteps behind me, Octavia peeking through behind me to see Ms. Squint with a furious look on her face, "Good to see you too, Octavia. I see that you are late... again,"

"I'm so sorry Ms. Squint, my mother came home just this morning and we crashed into a tree since she was too tired to drive. It won't happen again. Charlie was in the car too since his mother and father were out of the country," She ranted.

"Is this true, Charlie?" Ms. Squint questioned me. I hadn't heard it, as I was gazing off at the floor, wondering how on Earth Octavia thought of an excuse that fast. I was interrupted by a nudge on my shoulder which came from Octavia, her eyes directed at Ms. Squint.

"Oh, yes, it's true, Ms. Squint," I said, covering my mouth as a burp escaped from it. Maya was staring at me with a look of pride, but Berger was giving me the good ol' 'you fucked up' look.

"Alright, go sit down, the both of you. I hope you both are alright enough to take the test," I quickly walked to my table, taking a seat next to Berger as all eyes were set on me.

"What's wrong with you all? Octavia's there too," I whispered under my breath, hoping they'd heard it.

"You have five minutes to complete this test," Ms. Squint announced as she handed out the multi-choice question sheet to each person in the lab, "No phones, cheaters will be prosecuted," I nervously gulped when I was given my paper, more so because of Maya's plan. It was super risky and I even tried to talk her out of it, which was no use. I took a glance at Maya, then at Octavia who was already writing her name down. I can't believe she hasn't skipped a grade yet. She's super smart and could totally beat Lizzie in a pop quiz!

"I don't think she's that smart, Charlie," Berger whispered quietly so the teacher couldn't hear us. I flushed red before turning to Berger with wide eyes.

'Zip it' I mouthed, turning back to my test. I nervously shifted my gaze from the test paper to Maya's seat in front of me as she slipped the piece of paper underneath the desk and into the portal they had set, leading to the library where Lizzie would fill up the test for her. She turned slightly to look at me, a smirk forming on her face.

"You ready to chop down the Sequoia?" She said under her breath, making me grin.

'What the hell?' I mouthed back. I looked to see Octavia glancing back at us, but quickly turned back to her test paper after I'd locked eyes with her for no more than a second. I ignored it and looked down at my empty test paper, smiling dreamily at the thought of Octavia being jealous of Maya and I.

Is she jealous?

No, no, that's horrible if she is!

What if she gets mad at me and this whole thing comes crashing down again?

I shook my thoughts away, focusing back on my paper.

Focus, Kincaid!

––––––––––––
OCTAVIA'S POV: SCHOOL PITCH

"Now pitching is Charlie Kincaid," The announcer said through the mic, earning claps from the crowd as Charlie walked confidently across the field. I was sitting in between Lizzie and Maya as we cheered for Charlie. I sat back, positive that he'd carry the team. I just prayed that it would work, because somewhere in my mind is telling me everything is going to go downhill, and fast.

"Strike one!" Charlie's ball had perfectly landed in Berger's gloves as 'the Sequoia' missed his shot. Jacob was palm reading Maya's hand, which she was quite invested in. My face dropped at the sight of Maya not paying attention to possibly the only time Charlie was doing well on the pitch. I looked to see Charlie adjusting the device he'd hooked up onto his wrist just before the game, fidgeting with it.

"Charlie, you absolute show off," I said, scoffing silently to myself.

"Strike two!" Just as I had suspected. Charlie had increased the power of his wristband, making it harder for Forrest to hit.

"And this is the, uh, line that tells me that you don't have a date to the dance yet," Jacob said to Maya, referring to the dance we're having later at night. I rolled my eyes at the two while Lizzie looked at that in astonishment, still tapping away on her phone, "Do you wanna go with me?" He nervously asked.

"I guess," Maya said with a smile on her face.

"Yeah, cool," They were still holding hands. Not even a minute later the most shocking thing ever happened. Charlie ball had gone through Berger's gloves, through the brick wall of the school behind us, snapping the janitor's broom in half, and even knocking Ms. Squint's coffee, the whole pitch erupting with cheers and staggered faces. Charlie just kept a humble face on, looking straight at the three of us, which sparked an idea in me. I whipped out the car keys I'd kept after driving the truck to school, dangling it in the air.

"Show time~" I hummed.

––––––––––––
words: 1104

A/N:
I AM SO SO SO SORRY FOR THOSE WHO WERE WAITING FOR A NEW CHAPTER, I've just been caught up in so much school and prefect interview shits and I just had zero time for this I am so so sorry. this was super rushed so there are probably a bunch of mistakes but hope you liked it! please vote and comment anything you'd like! I interact with a lot of you and love it when you comment. that's it for today goodbye!! <3 - Raven