vi. what happened at the barrens

CHAPTER SIX
'WHAT HAPPENED AT THE BARRENS'

"That's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy

"That's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy...and that's poison ivy," Stanley said, pointing out some plants that hanged above the sewer opening in an exaggerated manner. He hoped to hit some sense on how this was the worse of ideas. As expected, Eddie was the first one to fall for it, "Where-Where's the poison ivy?"

Richie rolled his eyes at the two paranoic teenagers as he followed Toni and Bill inside the cistern, "Nowhere! Not every fucking plant is poison ivy, Stanley."

"Well im starting to get itchy, now!" Eddie mentioned.

"Do you use the same bathroom as your mother?" Richie questioned.

Eddie shrugged, "Sometimes, yeah."

"Then you probably have crabs," Richie said letting out a slight chuckle at which Eddie replied, scolding, "Thats so not funny."

"What are you two waiting for, an invitation?" Toni inquired, gesturing at Eddie and Stan when she notices they aren't following their lead.

"Yeah, aren't you guys coming in?" Richie added.

Eddie shook his head, unwilling to go inside, "Nah-uh, that's grey water."

Richie frowned, "What the hell is grey water?"

"Its basically- piss and shit so I'm just telling you," Eddie said raising up his hands in defense, "You are all splashing around in millions of gallons of Derry pee."

"How would you know that? You come often to take a splash, Kaspbrak?" Toni teased the hypochondriac boy who stared at her blankly, letting out a sarcastic laugh.

Richie snorted at the brunette's sass and started to fish in the grey water with a stick he had found earlier. He raised it up to his nose, sniffing it.

"A-Are you serious? What are you doing?-" Eddie started but got cut off by Richie's poor impression of a spanish accent, "Doesn't smell like caca to me, señor!"

"Well-I can smell that from here!" Eddie retorted at which the black-haired trashmouth spat, "It's probably just your breath wafting back into your face!"

Eddie exhaled desperately, "Have you ever heard of a staph infection?"

"Oh, i'll show you a staph infection!" Richie mocked Eddie, dipping the stick into the water again.

"This is so unsanitary, this is literally like swimming inside of a toilet bowl right now! Have you ever hear of an-" Eddie lets out a screech when Richie fished a piece of clothing soaked in dirty water and threw it at him. Stanley just stood there, sighing heavily at the immature actions of his companions.

"WHAT THE-ARE YOU RETARDED?- YOURE THE REASON WHY WE'RE IN THIS POSITION RIGHT NOW-"

"Guys!" Bill said outloud, gathering the group's attention. He raised up a white sneaker, lighting it up with his flashlight, giving better view of it to everyone.

"Shit. Don't tell me that's-" Stanley started.

"No. Ge-Georgie wore gloshes" Bill assured it didn't belonged to his little brother.

"Who's sneaker is it?" Eddie joined in.

Richie and Toni walked up closer to Bill. The brunette lighted up her flashlight focusing on the inside of the shoe's name written with ink, "Its Betty Ripsom's" Toni breathed out looking at the group.

Eddie freaked out at the mention of the missing girl's name, "Oh shit. Oh god. Oh fuck. I dont like this."

"How do you think Betty feels, huh? Running around these tunnels with only one freaking shoe!" Richie said jumping on one foot, mimicking what Betty would look like without her sneaker, but calls it off, noticing his friends weren't taking this as a joke.

"W-What if she's still here?" Stanley beamed into the conversation. Part of him knew the girl was probably dead by now, however he was curious about what caused her to disappear out of nowhere. His thoughts filled with the worst case scenarios, including the woman from the painting he had seen earlier in his house, what if she had taken her?

Toni shrugged and exhaled deeply, "I guess we're about to find out."

"Eddie, come on!" Richie encouraged.

"My mom will have an aneurism, okay? If she finds out we're playing down here, I'm serious!" Eddie complained, he then sighed, "Bill? Toni?"

Richie stared at the two, waiting for an answer.

"If I was Betty Ripsom, I would want us to find her," Bill told them, "Juh-Georgie too"

"Bill's right, we have to try. For Ripsom, Georgie, and every kid who's gone," Toni added, Bill turned to face her and nodded.

"What if I dont wanna try? What if I don't want to find them?" Eddie blurred out leaving his friends with puzzled looks, "No offense Bill, or to you Toni but I don't wanna end up like Ge-I mean-I don't want us to end up like Dam-" Eddie added, but avoided bringing up their siblings, "I don't wanna go missing either, or die," He concluded.

"He has a point," Stanley agrees. Bill faced the curly-haired boy with dissappointment, "Yuh-You too?"

"Its summer! We should be having fun!" Stanley claimed, making sure the group knew he was far from comfortable with the situation, "This is not fun. It's scary, and disgusting!"

The kids suddenly jolted and stopped discussing as they heard the sound of a violent splash behind them, they turned around and see a chubby, blonde kid who had collapsed in the water due to the exhaustion of bleeding out, and being chased by Henry Bowers.

Richie was the first one to step out of the cistern, his eyes widened when he sees him, "Holy shit! What happened to you?"

At that moment, the kid looks up at Richie and attempts to stand up, but loses his balance and falls on his knees. Eddie and Stan look at each other before hurrying over to help him up with Toni and Bill rushing right behind them.

( author's note ! )

Two chapters in a day, let's goooo

Btw, nothing to do with the book itself, but I started gilmore girls yesterday. I can't believe I didn't got into it before, it's so good! Are you currently watching any shows right now?