- Kate Croy | Italics p4

Here we are p4 :)

Let's get into it!
_______________________________

"Stay out with me tonight."

_______________________________

And so I did, just to find her missing the very next day...

I met Millie by the entrance as usual, having woken up very much too late due to the late hours yesterday.

"Kate still sleeping I see."

She sat at her breakfast table, fruit and bread laying fanciful on a silver tray before her. She looked up a tad bit sad.

"I've just taken her to the ferry."

Kate was leaving... so soon?

"I didn't know she was leaving..?"

Somehow, this still surprised me, the curveballs she's thrown at me has wavered, though this one hurt as well.

"She decided last night.."

Millie took a small sip of her drink as she looked at me, an odd look no less. Did she know something that I didn't?

"She asked me to tell you how sorry she was, she didn't have a chance to say goodbye.. I- I hope you won't be leaving soon too?"

I looked away from her, everything seeming like a game nowadays, a beautiful game with help from the scenery.. though still a game.

"No... I like it here.."

A weak smile was all I could give her as she looked hopefully up at me. What was I meant to do here? Cause Millie to marry me and then run away with her money and Kate after Millie's death? Could we be so horrible..?
_______________________________

We spent time alone with each other for longer times now, a friendship forming out of the situation.

We walked along the water and watched craftsmen build and roughen boats, admiring architectures of Italy as well as joking our way over the streets.

We enjoyed our last day of sun out in the open, having to cave in when the rain finally hit us. Millie's house seemed even bigger without Kate in our presence.

Eventually, the rain was most of what covered my sight until I found a place where I could be alone. I stared out the window, hoping that maybe somewhere in England, the rain was falling too... Kate's eyes upon it.
_______________________________

"She thinks you've been avoiding us."

Millie had found me by the window, my usual stroll to watch the raindrops fall being interrupted. The woman she was talking about was of course her care woman, a woman far more intelligent than her.. sadly.

"Why would I do that?"

It was all said with a joke-like tone, as if the weather would separate us, which was a blessing for some. She looked back with a smile.

"That's exactly what I said."

We decided it had been too long since we left the house and it was time for some socializing. A nice dinner was in order. We grabbed our coats and headed out, despite of the rain hitting our umbrellas harshly.

The first restaurant we saw was the one, no turn backs, no regrets. Soon, we arrived at a place called 'Ristorante Wistèria' (a Venetian restaurant) whatever that meant...

(I googled, I refers to people or things of Venice, makes sense 💀)

As soon as we entered the building, a waiter came up to us and sat us at a table. It was incredible what bad weather could do to a place like this. What normally could've taken at least 30 minutes of waiting time, took about a courter of a second instead. Barely any folk were in, just a few seated further away.