10 - Being (Civil)

[AN: I recommend you go back and read the last chapter...]

10 - Being (Civil)

The three boys sat on my couch, patiently waiting for Kelsey to show. Well, only two were waiting patiently, and only two were on the couch. Braddon looked miserable as if he could be anywhere else. Allen was busing himself with his cell phone. Conner was up and making his way around my living room.

He'd occasionally pick up a photo, say something, then put it back. For instance, right now, he's holding a picture of my five-year-old self. That particular picture was taken at a park as I was holding out food to some ducks that were at the park's pond.

The look of excitement was evident on my face as I looked down at one particular one. I remember that memory complete. I remember because not even a few minutes after the picture was taken, the duck "bite" my finger as he was trying to get the bread from my hand. Whenever we have company over, my dad would never hesitate to tell that story.

"Hmm, for some reason, you look quite weird with brown hair," Conner said as he looked between me now and me then. Allen chuckled and rolled his eyes at his friend. Braddon didn't say much of anything. He was just his same, usual, mean self.

Suddenly, a knock was heard. I began walking to answer it, but Conner intervened.

"Allow me to do the honor," he said, and I think he made his accent thicker. I glanced at the couch where his two friends shook their heads at his behavior. Seconds later, the door was open, and in walked Kelsey. She froze when she saw the guys.

"Um...Jadore?" she questioned while not taking her eyes off the three. Braddon stood, rather slowly and almost intimating. He didn't take a step, but he did seem to stare her down. Kelsey walked toward me and stood in front of me, causing her back to be to the boys.

"Are you okay?" she questioned softly and urgently. "Blink three times if you're in trouble," she instructed, which caused me to roll my eyes and smile at her.

"I'm fine. Believe me," I promised her. She watched me for a few more seconds before she nodded and turned to the others in the room. A clear sign that she believed me.

"Um...hello," she waved awkwardly at the guys. Allen gave a "what's up" head nod, Conner saluted her, and Braddon just huffed in annoyance.

"Alright, let's keep this short and not so sweet," Braddon announced to the room. He motioned to me with his head, while speaking to Kelsey. "Your friend here—"

"Jadore," I interrupted, which made him send me a not-so-nice look. I shrugged my shoulders in response.

"Jadore," he corrected himself. For some particular reason, he made my name sound different. It didn't sound like how I'm used to it sounding. He made it sound almost like a symphony. It sounded very rhythmic if that makes sense. Maybe it's because he put so much emphasis on it? I don't know. But whatever he did, made a shiver go down my spine...good or bad, I'm not so sure.

"She told you about a certain activity that my friends and I were doing. We're here to make sure you don't blab about it to anyone," Braddon finally got to the point. Kelsey shook her head.

"No, I didn't tell anyone. Honestly, I barely even remember what she said. What are we even talking about? Haha, my brain is kind of...blaaaahhh you know," she let out a nervous laugh with crazy hand gestures. She carried on pretending like she didn't know what was being talked about.

Although, everyone knows that she's lying. Let's just say she's not the best at acting. I placed my hand on her shoulder, silently telling her to stop trying. She looked at me and I shook my head, trying to prevent the smile to show on my face. It's funny seeing her act all nervous because she's one of the strongest people I know.