how they see each other again

"Mom!" Billy runs into the room, "Tommy's being mean."

"And how is he doing that?" Wanda wiped her hands off on the dishtowel she was using before hanging it over the edge of the sink, "Also, I'm busy. Why not go tell Nat?"

"You were closer," Billy insists. Tommy walks in, already looking defensive. Wanda cocks her head at him, awaiting an explanation.

Suddenly, everything staticizes and Wanda can feel dread wash over her. She hears Natasha's voice, pleading.

"No, please, you can't... she was just okay last week..."

The feeling lifts almost immediately and Tommy's voice fades back in, "I wanted to play with the Wii. And the game I wanted to play was single player."

"I got to it first," Billy responds, arms crossed over his chest, "Besides, you played on it like... all day yesterday. It's my turn."

"How about," Wanda refocuses, "whoever has their homework done can play, alright? I know you both had work to do yesterday when you came home."

This time the entire scene changes, and she can see herself holding Natasha, who's sobbing. She can barely make out the words among Natasha's cries and it feels like her heart is breaking.

"I could've stopped her," works its way past her lips, "I should've protected her."

Everything switches back again and Wanda blinks, confused. Where is this coming from?

"I did all my homework already," Billy says proudly, puffing out his chest and sticking his tongue out at his twin before running out of the room.

"Hey! Be nice to your brother!" Wanda calls after him. She looks back at Tommy, "Do your homework, please."

"Fine," Tommy grumbles, walking out of the room in a far too dramatic fashion for just having to do schoolwork.

Wanda sighs, head pulsing as she tries to figure out what's going on. This has never happened before.

Natasha walks into the room, hair thrown up in a messy bun with pieces falling out everywhere. She looks tired.

"Hey, dorogoy," Wanda says softly, pulling Natasha into her arms, "is work bad?"

"Mhm," she nods against Wanda's shoulder, "I need help."

"With what?" Wanda asks curiously, playing with the escaped hair, "I don't know how much of a help I'd be."

"I need help," Natasha's voice sounds more urgent this time, "Please. Come help me."

Wanda doesn't understand, what is she talking about?

"Please."

Wanda jolts up in bed, seeing Natasha sleeping uneasily next to her. She's not cuddled up to Wanda's side as per usual, instead she's curled up on the other side of the bed, tears built up on her face and blankets completely gone.

Wanda gently reaches out, stomach twisting as she tries to figure out the best way to wake her up. She knows that Natasha can get very aggressive if she's woken up the wrong way - it's resulted in a couple bruises and a boatload of apologies - but that kind of thing hasn't happened in ages.

She goes with her gut.

"Nat," she gently shakes Natasha's arm, noticing how tense it is and feeling her heart break a little in her chest. She shakes a little harder when Natasha only whimpers, hoping Natasha will just wake up soon.