the next couple months

Slow and steady.

It started with the first date, Shuffle's was fun and rollerskating was even better. Then the next day we went to see a movie. We progressed from holding hands to him putting his arm around me. He had such a comfortable shoulder and he smelled distinctively of leather, cigarettes, and mint. Not menthol mint, either. Fresh mint.

We didn't hang again, officially, for about two weeks but he still came by the shop and said hi to me almost every day and he'd chat with me for a bit then and leave. Everyone was making fun of me but I didn't care how red I got each time or how my voice changed. I was happy to be around him.

We talked on the phone sometimes when others were asleep. He told me that his father played guitar long ago and Johnny used to play it too. He hasn't picked one up in years but he likes to think he could carry a tune. I told him I used to like to read a lot and learn new big words for fun but I just stopped making time for that when I started working. Little stuff like that led to us just learning more and more about each other even though we didn't see each other every day.

We talked on the phone at least three times a week. Johnny said he'd get in trouble if their bill is too high from him talking so much. Even then, we exchanged a lot.

Our next date after those two weeks was just a walk along the downtown area, we got ice cream and made a few stops, even stopping at Lucky Star for a bit. We eventually also went to a little diner that had a nice jukebox. Johnny told me that he liked it when I sang along with the records, he thought my voice was real nice. I could not stop blushing. Since Johnny doesn't have a car, we would walk to the Curtis's house so that they could give me a ride back home. He was crazy embarrassed that he couldn't drive but I can't drive either so I can't judge there.

On our walk, I don't know what came over the guy but he was just talking and talking. I loved it. He asked me lots of random questions about everything from work to family to weird random hypotheticals like what would my superpower be if I could have one (which was flying; interestingly enough, his was to move things with his mind). He still wouldn't tell me too much about his family now aside from they're not as happy as they once were but I took Sherri's advice and didn't push him. He told me about school, though. How he was held back freshman year because he missed so many days and couldn't make up enough work to pass his classes. "It was kinda... a bad year" was the ominous explanation for that.

After so much talking, he got quiet. He almost seemed nervous but he also had a different aura to him that day. He stopped and looked at me and I looked back at him, locking eyes with a slightly confused look. I had started to ask him if everything was okay but he interrupted me with a gentle kiss, lightly resting one of his hand at the side of my neck.

I literally couldn't move.

I hadn't expected his lips to be so soft and he didn't feel nervous, it felt like he knew exactly what he was doing. When we pulled away I couldn't help the smile on my face and I felt at ease when he smiled back at me.

He faced forward and continued walking in the direction we were heading before.

"I really didn't wanna do it when we got there." He said after a moment of more quiet.

"Why?"

"I don't really like everybody watchin'."

"How come?"

He thought for a second, "I just don't like everybody doin' all the hootin' and hollerin'."

He didn't kiss me again for a long time after that, but he got a little more affectionate, kissing my forehead and cheek and giving me more warm hugs. When school started, though, it was weird. It was like he wanted to hold my hand and hug me and stuff but he would pull himself away at first. As the weeks went on he got comfortable. We didn't have any classes together so we pretty much only had time in the hallway and a short moment after school before Sherri (or whoever I ride with that day) pulled around to pick me up.

During the school year, I usually have a lot less free time. I go to school and work nights and I usually work on a weekend day too. He thought it was cool that I worked, I told him how I like to earn for myself rather than just living off my parent's money. Work has always been real important to me but it did suck that it made it harder for us to see each other. I never had a guy who made me feel like I'd rather see him than go to work.

A great thing about Johnny, though, is he's so understanding and doesn't mind being alone. He may not want to but he can be alone and not always be worried that I don't like him anymore and I'm the same way. One week, he was completely out of school but he never told me why. I wasn't able to call him or anything and we didn't see each other until Saturday. I definitely missed him that week.

October came around and we were going pretty strong. We were still just enjoying each other's company. We still weren't going steady or anything. I really don't know why he hasn't ask me but like Sherri said, I'm going slow and steady. It's gotten me this far.