the get-together

I'd met Johnny three weeks ago, it was crazy. I couldn't seem to get over that infatuation because every time we talk I learn more that I like about him. His friend Ponyboy's birthday was today and his outfit was having a little party for him. Johnny invited me to go and even said I could bring some friends if it'd make me more comfortable. Ponyboy already invited Paul, who we all grew to like—he was quiet and calm but he had a lot of opinions and I loved that about him. He was kind of like our middle sibling, even though he's the youngest of us all: always mediating, always the voice of reason, and gets away with things with Frankie.

I decided to bring along Ronnie and Lowell, who already knew a couple of Johnny's friends. Well they knew Steve, they used to make fun of him a lot in middle school. They said they're all good now though. I also brought Janice. I would love to see her and a few of his friends in a conversation. I knew of them all, really, but not so much about them, save for Sodapop and Steve. He's told me about most of them, though. The only one I really don't know is Dallas and I don't really intend to.

Janice was with me now at my house, she said it's better for her to get ready for a party here because she's not surrounded by constant nagging. Her parents would be all over her for even going to a party in the first place. We were both dressed, I was just waiting for her to do her makeup and for the boys to show up.

My parents went dancing and my mother and I already agreed that if anything happened I was gonna come home. I told Cherry good night in the most annoying way possible when I heard the honk of Lefty's truck outside. Janice and I hurried to the car.

"Hello, pretty ladies," Ronnie flirted from the driver's seat.

"What's up, guys." I noticed a familiar smell as soon as I set foot in the car and it only meant good news.

Ronnie pulled off and Lowell pulled out a small bag of grass, enough for a few joints. I really only smoked on occasion, I've learned that the right dope really makes the party. "Copped a quarter of a lid, how about that."

"That's a quarter?" Janice asked, taking the bag from him, "Give me the papers, Lowell." Outside of work, Janice is a big time head. She said she only started smoking when she moved to the states, though, a few years back. How she managed to hide it from her parents? No idea.

"We already loaded a few bowls earlier, so it's not exactly a quarter anymore," The blonde says, passing her the Rizla papers. She handed me one and some grass and I began to roll it up alongside Janice and we finished in only a few minutes and lit them one at a time. By the time we got there we were lifted.

"Hey, look who's here," Sodapop announced coming to the door to let Janice and I out as Ronnie killed the engine. "Buzzed, ain't ya?"

"Just a little bit, Diet Coke," I reply, giggling, "You've met Janice, yeah, Soda?"

"I believe so."

"Hey, handsome," Janice greeted with a smile.

"Come on, everybody is inside, Steve and I were just chattin'." All four of us followed the guys inside and it wasn't much of a big party but the house had plenty of people in it for the size. I looked out for Johnny but I couldn't find him.

Iona was in the kitchen with Darrel, looking like two lovebirds in a nest so I had to go bother 'em. "Hey, Babs," I say, giving her a hug.

"Lena you smell," she said almost immediately, giggling at me, "Where's Janice, you two are gonna need some perfume."

"And a mint please," I say chuckling. "Hey ol' man. Babs been talkin' your ear off?"

He shrugged, I was glad he wasn't uncomfortable with the smell and the fact that I was obviously high. He couldn't be that uptight. "More like makin' conversation for us all." Iona handed me some perfume from her bag and a piece of gum and I reluctantly sprayed the perfume, she knew I didn't favor this scent but I personally don't prefer to smell like weed.

"Where's birthday boy?"

"Him and Johnny walked to the store to get some drinks for everybody."

So he wasn't here yet. I continued to converse while waiting for what I really came for. Steve challenged me in a game of cards and I suggested that we do teams. Janice and I would devastate Soda and Steve in a game of Spades and I knew it. Devastate we did. In the middle of our second game of higher stakes, $10 total to the winning pair, Johnny and Ponyboy made it back with a 12 pack of Pepsi and one of Sprite. I was excited to see Johnny but I was in game mode and Janice was the same. No one could stop us when we let our competitive streaks show.

"Y'all thirsty?" Ponyboy asked, opening himself a can of Pepsi.

"Yes, please, but water for me," Janice requested.

"Me too, please," I add. "Happy birthday, man!"

He gave me his cute little signature shy-sweet smile and says, "Thanks, Marlena."

"Oh yeah, happy birthday!" Ronnie and Lowell said at once.

Ponyboy chuckles and thanks them, handing them some sodas, Johnny gave me and Janice cups of water. "Thanks, Johnny."

"Sure. Who's winnin'?"

"We are!" Janice and I say at once, Janice taking the next book to her side. "We only have a couple more hands before we win," I add.

"Hey, don't get ahead of yourselves, ladies."

"Well why not? Y'all are acting like you never played a game of Spades before, boys."

"Yeah," Janice hopped on, "They're about to give us both five bucks."

Two-Bit heard us going in on the guys and stood by as I took the last book of this round and Steve and Sodapop both grunted in frustration. "Your deal."

"Oh come on now, y'all are playin' like a couple of girls. Oh wait, no the girls are actually playin'!" Janice and I laughed with Two-Bit and so did everybody else in the dining room area where we were playing and Steve warned Two-Bit to shut up as he shuffled the cards.

We finished our game ten dollars richer and afterwards went around socializing. There were beers but I don't drink beer, and I don't too much care for cigarettes either, I'd rather smoke something else. Janice, though, took a few to the head, and Ronnie and Lowell can drink ten beers and be just fine. Paul is too young but he didn't really wanna drink. He and Ponyboy really got on well which I could really understand as they're around the same age and kinda share some similar characteristics.

It was only nine o'clock, it seemed like the get together was only starting for these guys and I was loving it. I'm hoping to take some time to get to know Johnny and his friends.