the insecurities

Thursday was when Marlena got upset at me and now it was Sunday. I wanted to give her some space so I didn't try and find her at school Friday. It was real hard to keep from seeing her but Two-Bit told me I shouldn't be so pushy and I think he was right. Today, I just couldn't stop myself from calling her, though. I didn't want her to think I just stopped caring because she yelled at me a little.

"Hello?"

It was Cherry's voice on the other end and by now she knew what it meant when I called. "Hey, Cherry."

"I'll go get Lena for you."

"Wait, uh, Cherry... I-I hope you don't mind me askin' but... is everything alright?"

The other side was quiet for a bit, not a great sign but hopefully she'll at least tell me something that would ease my nerves about everything. "Johnny, the two months Lena hates the most are May and December. Our mom and her never really got along and my mom gets a little... much this time of year. If she's acting funny just be a little patient with her."

So she's acting this way because of her mom. "Alright... Thanks, Cherry."

"Sure. Hold on, I'll go grab her." The line was quiet again and as I waited, I looked outside the window of our somewhat beaten up old living room and picked at the white, pealing paint on the wall near the phone. "Hey, Johnny. How's it going?"

I shrugged, even though she couldn't see on the other side. "I'm alright."

"I know I've been actin' weird but I really just don't wanna explain it. It's nothin' to do with you and I don't wanna think about it while we're together, can you please just let it go?"

"If you don't wanna talk about it, we don't have to."

"Thank you."

I didn't really know what to say. I really wanted to ask more but I don't want her to get upset again, maybe she'll just tell me later. "You don't work today?"

"No, I usually ask not to work too much before all my tests. Frankie never minds, he don't want work to get in the way of my grades."

"Well maybe I can help you study or somethin'."

She giggled, "Y'know you need more help than I do."

"You care more about it. I can test you and stuff."

"Is that you sayin' you wanna hang?"

"Well, yeah, sure."

I felt like I could hear the smile in her voice and it made me smile as well. "Well... my parents are gonna be out for one of my dad's work things tonight. Long as you leave by about eight or nine you could come to my place."

We hadn't hung out alone at her place since the day I asked her out so I couldn't say no. "Yeah, How about in an hour?"

"Of course. I'll be waiting."

"Great. Well I'll see you soon?"

"See ya'."

"You didn't even bring your bag?" Marlena asked, laughing lightly as she opened the door for me.

"I'll be alright. I'm here helpin' you." I turned around and waved at Dally who winked and drove off, he already told me for sure he'd come back at eight thirty to pick me up. As I turned back around, before she even let me inside her house I was surprised by a big hug. A warm and fuzzy feeling hit my stomach as I wrapped my arms around her as well. "Sorry if I was bein' kinda pushy."