The Tragedy

A/N This is My first KanColle fic, despite me never watching the anime, movie or even playing the game. But the fan theory surrounding abyssals tempted me to make this fic.

Some characters may be OOC, since I use mostly fanon personalities.

"Kaga, enemy aircraft at 3 O'Clock!" Inazuma shouted, pointing to Kaga's right.

"You don't need to tell me twice." Said Kaga, as she then drew the bowstring, and shoots an arrow without even looking at the enemy.

The arrow hits the aircraft head-on, destroying it. It's remains drop down to the sea below, and sinks into the abyss where it came from.

"Impressive as always, Kaga." A voice said behind Kaga, a long haired kanmusu wearing the same getup as Kaga herself, but with red motif instead of blue.

"It is nothing big, Akagi-San."

"You've come so far, let's get some ice cream back home!" Akagi said, closing her eyes while flashing that calming smile.

"...Yes."

They were sent out to the Midway Atoll, to suppress an imminent Abyssal attack from it's deep waters. The admiral has been authorized to set up a foothold on one of the islands, and after doing so, a sortie was commenced.

Kaga at first is an inept kanmusu, until she trains under Akagi, who is a motherly figure to most of the base and the fleet the admiral commands. Akagi herself is his go-to flagship whenever he wanted to commence a sortie.

Kaga respects Akagi greatly. To her and most of the fleet she is deemed as the perfect ship with her warm and motherly (as well as carefree) personality, as well as being a good cook. Her archery skills are unmatched by any of the carriers as well, as none escaped her shots.

However that one fateful day, after the sortie, Kaga is met and congratulated by Zuikaku of the fifth division.

"I've heard you've done another impressive feat at the recent sortie, Kaga-San! I do wish that I can join you in the next one!"

"You, join me? I have no intentions of going into battles alongside inferior fifth trash."

"Oh, come on, Kaga-San! I'm often cooped up in the base, training and training, and I want to join you in the next--"

"Zuikaku, no more words."

Akagi, who was standing next to Kaga the whole time looked on with a stern expression, her eyes still closed.

They went to the base's cafeteria, and they ate ice cream together.

"Akagi-San, after we're done here, I want to go train again."

"Of course, Kaga. Where do you want to train?"

"...Is that question necessary?"

"I'm just curious, Kaga. Lately you've been home late."

"If it is to sharpen the results of my training, I'd rather spent days of no sleep to train to be the best...."

"Kaga." Akagi suddenly raised her voice, putting the bowl of ice cream down on the table, producing an audible thud.

Kaga sat there silent.

"I'm not perfect as well, Kaga, which you are aiming to be. You kept on following my footsteps, training in the same skills as mine. You've grown to become a formidable carrier, and I'm proud of that. It's just that you are getting rather prideful, like how I saw how you treated Zuikaku recently."

Kaga continued to listen to Akagi's lecture.

"The commander is proud of you as well, Kaga. We saw you, and all of us here as family, and as such we need to look out for each other to become a formidable force to battle the abyssals. We fight not by choice, but responsibility."