Chapter One (edited)

A steady thrum vibrated down my spine, extending to the tips of my fingers and toes before retreating back towards my aching chest. I could hear my harsh breaths, feel the strain it took on my body to maintain them.

I didn't know why I always did this to myself.

Why couldn't I just skip one morning, just sleep in past the sunrise – or even the false dawn? The faintest hints of violet and navy were only now just beginning to light up the horizon. Framed from above by the shadow of a new moon and from below by the pitch-black silhouette of an ancient forest, where the knotted branches extended past the foliage twisted in the breeze as it to grasp at the distant stars.

But I could still recall my step-father's words from after every brutal training session; Once leads to twice, leads to a lack of discipline that will destroy your future before you can touch it.

Harsh words, sure, but they were what kept me at the top in our school arena in my class.

I sighed and began to slowly push myself into a jog, forcing my body to keep moving through the pain. Regulating my breathing and counting my footsteps was the only way I was still moving.

Right foot, one; left foot, two; right foot, three...

A steady rhythm that could calm my mind better than any amount of counting sheep ever would.

All that existed to me was the moment. The pain, the desire to stop, and the determination to pull myself through it. It was slow, it wasn't steady, and I was glad that there was no one here to see my miserable attempt at a lap around the track.

Only half way, and already I could see vibrant bolts of pink and yellow in the skyline. By this time, I was usually fixing myself breakfast in the staff kitchen – the student canteen didn't open until half past six – but I was still almost five laps behind schedule. I was tempted just to skip them, get off the field before anyone else arrived, and invited me to socialize, or even worse – exercise – with them.

These mornings, as difficult as the workout might be, were the only moments of peace I had. The only time when I wasn't surrounded by others. Due to the roommate and dorm system, I didn't even have the night to myself.

This sweat, these bruises and stitches, they were my only serenity in the chaos I had to live through.

"I had been lead to believe that you were faster, Knightly."

I knew that voice. The entire school knew that voice. The deep, husky baritone sounded like it belonged to a smoker, despite knowing that our resident class crazy had never been near a cigarette.

"Or are you still recovering from me beating your ass yesterday in hand-to-hand combat?" Natalia Ivanov smirked as she pushed herself to catch up to me, her obnoxiously bright neon green sweat suit impossible to ignore even when I turned away. No matter how I twisted my head, it was still in the corner of my vision somewhere.

It was enough of a distraction that I almost tripped over my own feet as I leaned in to turn around the track. I managed to rebalance myself without having to stop or lose my pace, but my lungs had lost their rhythm when I could finally draw in enough breath to reply. "I guess you could say that, but then again you were not forced by Coach Summers to fight the entire class. And plus, it was a draw. No one beat me."

She was silent for a long moment before mumbling an "if you say so" and speeding off ahead of me.

I only shrugged at her antics and slowed my speed down as I approached the solid white line in front of me, painted clearly on the track. Crossing it took only seconds, and the relief of having finally completed my morning workout was so strong that it knocked my knees together and I almost crumpled to the ground.