.•*:。✩ 𝑇𝑊𝑂.

It was hard to believe that we were already in mid-August. It wasn't long until school starts again, and students were about to begin another new school year.

When Summer vacations come to an end, you realize that it was all a blur. Bike rides, and setting camps in your backyard, the days spent sunbathing at the lake or out shopping in town... Days quickly became weeks, and weeks turned into months, and it all blends into one. The feeling was bittersweet. Not wanting the summer to end, but also excitement, knowing that you'll reunite with your friends and exchange anecdotes about each other's summer. Well, that's how two of the Rushman girls felt. The third one, she wasn't so sure about all of that.

Eleonora was anxious. It wasn't a secret, but if it was, it was poorly kept. She had changed a lot over the past years, it was understandable. But as much as Melina wanted to keep her last baby home forever with her, she couldn't. For Eleonora's sake and well-being, it was time to go back out there, back to school.

So there she was, staring at her own reflection in the mirror, as if she didn't change her outfit three times already. She settled on some baggy jeans and a tank top. Her brown, wavy hair cascaded onto her shoulders, a few strands framing her face perfectly as the rest was tucked behind her ears.

She could smell her mother cooking breakfast downstairs, probably pancakes or waffles, but didn't budge. She was glued to the ground, a little longer and roots will begin to grow under the feet.

"Elya, you look amazing." A voice said, suddenly, that made the brunette jumped.

I should know better

Eleonora turned around to see one of her older sisters watching her, leaning on the doorway. Natasha walked further into the younger's girl bedroom, only stopping when she was behind Eleonora. Snaking her arms around the shorter girl's waist, Nat rested her head on Eleonora's shoulder.

"You have nothing to worry about. It's just school, I'll be there, Yelena will be there and all our friends. And mama is only a phone call away. You're not alone." Natasha tried to reassure her stressed out little sister. Natasha could easily read Eleonora, read her like a book. It was too easy, even. She knew her youngest sister like the back of her hand, but right now even a stranger could sense the girl's distress. Natasha sighed. She wished Eleonora didn't feel this way. High school is supposed to be this amazing experience, but just the thought of it is eating the brunette alive.

"Now c'mon! Mama made breakfast and if we don't get down now, Yelena will have eaten all of it!" Natasha joked, pulling Elya out of her room and dragging her downstairs, where Yelena and Melina were. Natasha was right, of course, because Yelena had already finished half of her breakfast before the two could even sit down.

"Morning Lena. Morning Mama." Eleonora's tone was rather cheerful, her mood the total opposite from earlier. But it didn't take a genius to realize the youngest Russian was faking it. They played along nevertheless. They fought it'd be better. Melina went around the table, serving her daughter some food before plating the rest for herself. She listened to her two oldest talking, and watched her youngest daughter drowning in her own thoughts. That was one of the thing Melina hated the most about being a parent to those girls. Not being able to save them from themselves, Eleonora especially.

Melina didn't know how long she had spaced out, but now Natasha was braiding Eleonora's hair and Yelena was going off somewhere. She watched, leaning on the counter with her cup of coffee, the interaction with the two, sometimes butting in the conversation. Soon later, the two other girls followed Yelena up the stairs. The only thing they needed to do was to brush their teeth and a bit of makeup for Natasha. Eleonora wanted to put some concealer and mascara on to hide the bags under her eyes, but Yelena spent forever in the bathroom. All of Elya's banging was proven to be ineffective when Yelena made no effort to speed up.