Chapter 08

HE had fallen asleep and was only vaguely aware of it when he felt your stirring and pulling yourself away from him slightly, while leaving your body close, your forehead still on his neck.

Light poured in, but from the dusk. It was time. With that knowledge he jolted awake. His body ached from the earlier loss of power, yet seeing the lights in your eyes forced it to the back of his mind. His body was wanting to respond to the sight of you and the feel of you in a completely different way, but his mind remained troubled...

How could he release you without making you feel used or unwanted? Many of his kind considered their human lovers trifles to be cast aside without feeling or consideration... But you were more. How could he make sure you did not feel it had been a mistake?

He was well aware that the queen's crown should now go to you... if not for the fates that brought you, but now by the sheer desire of his heart. He had said it aloud... there was no turning back.

He lifted your chin up and kiss you tenderly then lay a soft kiss on your forehead. He drew you against him in a squeeze as you laid your head back on his chest.

"How can I bear to do what I must now?" he whispered in your hair. He felt you tense then move to look up. As he stared into your eyes he became keenly aware of his heart that was just recently mended beginning to break again.

"I know I must keep my vow, but the heavens and stars know if I could find a way... I would not."

You raised your hand up and caressed his cheek. He leaned into it savoring the warmth of it, and brushed his lips over your fingertips before looking back at you.

"You understand I believe, more than anyone, why I must. Though I..." He watched as you bit your lip clearly disturbed and in thought. "Yes?"

You shook your head. "Some things should probably be left unsaid."

He could not help the disappointment cross his features, and tried to retrain them into a mask of neutrality. He had hoped it would be a confession. A way to know your release would eventually lead you back.

He gave you a weak smile, then pulled away, slipping out of the bed to retrieve the robe, and with it the ring. He pulled the golden ring out and palmed it, returning to you and holding it out to you. He seen your eyes glisten at the sight of it.

"It is for you. It will lead you to where and when you need to be." He took your hand, turned it over and dropped the ring in it. "And if you wish to find your way back to me..." He held your eyes silently doing something he never did - pleading, "it will provide a path."

He watched as you closed and opened your hand, then put the ring on your index finger. "I may return then...?" He seen the bewilderment in your eyes. "I may come back to you?"

He merely nodded. He turned away, unable to hold your eyes anymore, wishing that there was genuine desire there to return. He did his best to keep his mask of neutrality in check. He turned and stood, going to the rope that would ring a bell for a servant. He glanced at you out of the corner of his eye, and let out a long, hard sigh and pulled on it.

A servant appeared moments later. "Bring her the clothes she wore when she arrived, and have Legolas saddle Enchantment to lead her through the wood." He turned back to your questioning, misty eyes, "She is one of the royal steeds. She is the most gentle of the lot. She will be best to lead you to where you need to go... and if you wish for a way back she will come."

He returned to your side and just gazed at you trying to memorize every part of you. He seen you look down at the ring as a tear slid down your cheek. He brought his thumb up and wiped it away.

"Why do you weep? Is this not what you wanted?" He tilted your chin up and was met with your tears, "To be free?"

He watched you merely return the question with a somber bob of the head, and look away. He cleared his throat, and took you by the shoulders, turning you back to him. Somehow this was harder than letting go of his beloved wife. You were living, breathing - healthy and kind at heart, and weeping at the thought of leaving. Things his wife were not, and never did.

He glanced over at the dark corner she occupied, seemingly to swell with delight at seeing the pain both of you were experiencing.

"Listen carefully," His words caught in his throat when he turned back seen your eyes again; he had to swallow the lump that had formed in his throat before he continued, "To return to your realm and the time period you need, turn the ring thrice to the right."

You nodded and looked down. He was close to breaking - close to telling you that you could not leave him. If only you would stop looking at him like that - like that was what you wanted him to say...

Desperately, he took a breath, and laid both hands on either side of your face, cradling your face gently, "To come back you only have to turn the ring thrice to the left. A way will be opened..." His voice had risen, needy and desperate.

You nodded again. "I understand."

The maid came in with your 'strange, human clothes', and lay them on the bed, leaving at the wave of dismissal that Thranduil gave her.

In one last note of memory he pulled you against him, peppering your neck and cheeks with kisses before pulling away, and saying what he must, "Now get dressed and go. Do not look back."

He turned away from you, grabbing at the robe he had left disregarded by his bed, pulled it about himself, and got up and studiously looked out the window.

It was only a few minutes later when he heard you whisper, "Goodbye." It was followed by the soft footfalls you made down the hall. His only memory now of you that he could still hold was the soft scent of florals in the air.