Chapter 11

THE farmer's wife stared at you with wide, frightened eyes. Her hair was wet from an apparent shower or bath. She seemed to be in her late 40s, and was getting ready to go to bed.

"Harold...?" she called to someone within the house, and a tall, overweight, but kind looking, middle-aged man came to the door.

"Who is it Mattie?" he asked before looking down at you. His eyes flashed a similar fear before being masked with a cautious air. "Can I help you, dear?"

You held yourself in a hug, attempting to not shiver from the cold. "I need help. Please. My car broke down. I have nowhere else to go."

The couple looked at each other, and the wife lowered her head and nodded as she stepped out of the doorway. The man held the door open for you, and you re-climbed the steps to enter into the blessed warmth of the house. The man led you to the kitchen table and asked you sit down.

"I'll get you something warm to drink." the woman said as she went over to a cabinet and pulled out a mug, placed it on the counter, then grabbed a kettle from the nearby stove and ran water in it. As she set it down on the table you seen her grab at what appeared to be a rosary around her neck and make the symbol of the cross just before she turned it on.

You rolled your eyes as you turned your attention to the man who was pulling a chair out and sitting opposite you now. "You said your car broke down? Where abouts is it? Our house is, very far off from any main road."

The lady bustled past grabbing a box of tea bags and pulling one out with some honey as she muttered something.

"I'm not sure exactly. I... I got lost in the forest for a time trying to find help."

You could feel the wife turn around and look at you then. "You came from the forest?"

You turned around to face her. Her eyes were wide, and scared once more.

"Through the forest, yes... not from it." You clarified picking up on what may be the issue with these two people. It wasn't the total truth, but considering their reactions it was best.

The husband looked at the wife and both seemed to relax at the same time. The wife came over with a smile, "How on earth did you make it through that dark, creepy forest in this weather? God was definitely watching over you, child."

You looked away and bit your lip. Maybe God led you where you could be saved and to him? Your heart ached. Thranduil's eyes filled your thoughts at that moment. "I guess so..."

The kettle whistled and the woman got up and poured it into the cup, then presented it to her. "I'll get you some leftovers from the fridge."

"I'm sorry... um...?

"Y/N"

"Yes, sorry. I know we are probably acting strange to you. But things happen in that forest that are no normal. We've seen things and people in there too. Faeries if you will."

"Faeries?" you asked taking a sip of the tea afterward. It had no flavor. You tried to ignore it and focus on the warmth it gave you.

"Yes, not little Tinkerbell things... but tall, and lean... and they can be deadly. We've seen them take out a whole pack of coyotes once. We know it probably sounds crazy to you... but you don't live here. Everyone who lives along here will tell you the same thing." Harold elaborated.

You heard a microwave bell ding and couple moments later a plate of food with a fork was placed before you. Meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes. You thanked them and began to dig in. After a few bites you stopped, and took a swig of the tea. The food had barely any flavor as well.