Chapter 4

Why don't Lifebooks record our every action and thought? They are a creation of the Word, so saying that they have limits in size is naïve. Why is my focus on the Lifebond recorded in my book, but other parts of myself are left to my mind alone? I pray that one day we find the answer.

A soft morning breeze wafted the smell of roasting meats and veggies under Val's nose as he stood fidgeting by the street side cart on Center Main. He watched hungrily as Joshen used a long spatula to flip the roasting foods line by line. Any food that man touched turned to fable, as far as Val was concerned. Not that he was the best judge, since he enjoyed anything rolled in a thin Tam bread. But Joshen packed the most flavor into a meal out of all the vendors this side of Satmass Bridge.

"You eva' goin' ta settle down and fin' a wife, Val?" Joshen asked in a light jovial tone. The vendor was from Tamaka state, and his voice still hadn't lost its coastal twang.

Val smiled at the familiar exchange, though something felt off. "As usual, I am far too busy to even go looking. Besides, can you imagine any woman wanting to deal with me for a book's age?"

Joshen chuckled. "Mehbe not, but I don' claim ta eva' know a wo'man's mind."

Val shrugged as the sizzling morsels drew his attention back to the cooktop. Each seasoned strip of pheasant or pile of diced peppers and onions spit and popped in its own bubble ring of grease. Joshen scooted the veggies around with his spatula; his silicon gloves stretched tight against the back of his hand, revealing the prime lines beneath. The man sniffed, yanking Val's eyes upward. As Val's gaze passed over Joshen's face, he noticed for the first time a slight discoloration of the vendor's left cheek.

Joshen's yellow eyes found Val's gaze. "I know whatcha must be t'inkin, you and your nosy ways."

Val held up his hands innocently. "You know I can't help myself, Josh. My mind runs away whether or not I tag along."

The vendor chuckled half-heartedly and ran a hand over his bald head. "I know, but I always feel like I need ta defen' my'self ta you."

"I just don't enjoy seeing you get hurt."

Josh waved the spatula in the air dismissively. "It's on'ly a min'or bruise."

The vendor's mouth quirked ever so slightly down as he spoke. Val's eyes left the man's mouth and traveled to his left arm. Josh hadn't used it even once to season the food while Val had been watching. When the vendor turned his body, his arm remained stiff and straight. As his suspicions clicked into place, Val looked sternly into Joshen's eyes. The man sighed dramatically.

"Why do I eva' try ta hide anythin' from you? Eh?"

Val just stared at him.

"Fine. The Meyans wan' me real bad. They'z gettin' frustrated wit' me. They mighta pulled on my arm too har'd."

Val's gaze softened. "Did they break it?"

Josh shrugged, then winced as the movement jostled his hanging arm.

"What can I–"

"You can' do nothin' for me that I can' do fer my'self. 'Sides, if the veloes see you helpin' me, it'all on'y get worse."

Val wanted to push the issue, but he knew his friend was right. The veloes wouldn't want a government lackey sniffing about a potential enlistment. He didn't have any real sway in the law enforcement sector either, so Josh was on his own. The vendor pulled out a plate with a steaming piece of Tam sitting open on it and handed the plate to Val. Once Val had it, Josh grabbed the spatula and scooped a generous portion of the meat and vegetables onto the waiting bread. Val whisked the plate out of Josh's reach and began rolling the Tam before the vendor could set the spatula down and do it himself. Josh's face morphed into a true glare this time.