Chapter 6

If a thing is possible, someone will find a way to take advantage. Of all avatars, I abhor slicers the most. Not only have they trained themselves to ignore the shock of touching another's Lifebook, they have learned the subtle arts of removing pages and forcing bonds. They can preserve the pages as needed, but most of the time they allow the pages to crumble to ash. It is a much more effective display for the avatar who just lost a piece of themself. Blackmail at its finest.

Kana Kjin flopped down at an empty table, careful not to spill her drink. Skies, she was tired. Her feet throbbed as the ink rushed into them, so she slipped her high heels off underneath the table. She smoothed her dress and scanned the banquet hall again, searching for anyone she hadn't already spoken to.

The dining tables were all draped with simple white cloths and decked with jagged crystal centerpieces. Strings of lights overhead made the crystals shimmer and sparkle between the heads of the avatars milling around her. Kana could only see one person of any real influence: Senator Caine. She had met with Caine at his office a week ago. The man had been so evasive; she was certain one of the veloes already had his book in their library. He couldn't be of any help to her.

In the center of the hall itself, a gurgling water fountain splashed with rhythmic jets that rose nearly half the height of the three story ceiling. Erle Jones, head of the downtown business collective, sat enjoying the water display with his wife. Whenever an avatar passed their table, Erle shifted to display the paper spyder pinned to his vest. It was an intricate thing, as all origams were. She ran her hand absently over the flower origam in her hair. Its petals would never wilt or crease; not even water could damage its tight construction. Kana loved studying other avatars origams, but she needed to focus. Tar Jones said immediately that he refused to cause a stir in the faction war, so she had left the couple to their evening.

Even more avatars congregated on the tiered balconies on the far side of the hall. There they listened to stories read aloud or danced as an orchestra played. Of every influential avatar at the centennial banquet tonight, the head of the university, law enforcers of all levels, senators from every sector of the city and abroad, even many of questionable morals, none of them would offer her any help. Some offered hostility and some sympathy, but that was all. She was alone. Years of maneuvering her way into a position where she could make a difference were all down the drain in one night. Burn that Gurnney!

She took a sip of the drink, letting the red liquid pool on her tongue. It was called... Funny, she wasn't sure what the drink was called. It tasted... interesting. Tar Otherton, head of law enforcement, had handed it to her as they talked without asking what she wanted. Strange. She swallowed and set the cup down just as someone slid smoothly into the seat next to her. Plastering a curious smile on her face, she turned, only to feel the smile drop into a surprised "oh" at the sight of her tablemate.

"Senator Kana," Val said, as he took off his fedora and set it on the table. He smiled at her expression. His signature trench coat drooped lazily over the sides of his chair.

"How did you even get in here dressed like that?" Her voice sounded dry, even to her. She glanced at her drink, unsure if she wanted any more of it.

"I'm wearing a button up and an ascot like every other male avatar here." He gestured proudly at the orange ascot around his neck.

"You always wear that," she said with a wave of her hand. "It's the hat that I can't believe. This is a formal banquet."

He shifted guiltily in his chair. "I might have tucked the hat inside my coat as I came in." Kana let out a snort of laughter that she quickly stifled. Val smiled warmly at her. "Besides, I didn't want my invitation to go to waste."