Chapter 3

It had been a week since the breakup. Maya was looking how Lucas was posting pictures of him and Missy on summer vacation. The thought of losing him made her mad, but the thought of what was going on between him and Missy made her sick.

There was a lot to be happy about. Charlie popped the question and now he and Riley were engaged. Something that Maya knew was always going to happen. But something inside her wished that it was her and Lucas. That he didn't cheat and that they were still together. Or maybe it was more that she longed for the feeling of being in love. She shook her head while she carefully looked at the cake she was busy with. Although she did graduate college, Maya didn't know what to put her business degree to work with. So she stayed at decorating and baking cakes.

"Don't tell me you are still at this place," Josh said as he came in through the door.

"Hey, well, yeah. I'm not working in business yet. What are you doing here?" Maya asked.

"I'm going to hate myself. Where is your diploma from NYU?" Josh asked.

"You mean my degree for business? It's in my bag," Maya said.

"Can I see it?" Josh asked as Maya got it out from her bag.

Giving it to Josh, Maya saw as he took out his phone and took a picture of it, before returning it to her. She looked at him while he went on his phone before he threw that aside.

"That was Cory wanting proof. Now for my actual reason for being here," Josh said.

"Does that reason require some coffee?" Maya asked.

"You know you make the best lattes in New York," Josh said.

"A latte coming up then. Why are you really here?" Maya asked.

"To find out why you are still working at the bakery after you graduated business school," Josh said.

"Sounds more like Riley sent you," Maya said as she handed Josh his coffee and sat down beside him.

"I was actually looking for you, to check up on you after the breakup, when Riley told me you are still at the bakery. The same bakery you started working at 6 years ago when you were 16 for pocket money. Should I be worried?" Josh asked as Maya shook her head.

"No, you don't have to be worried. Everything is fine. I'm just not ready to go into the corporate world yet. I'm really okay with the whole business thing. And for the Lucas thing," Maya said as she stood up and went to stand next to Josh.

"Thanks for caring," Maya said kissing his cheek as she went back behind the counter.