Who defeated who?

Beam soon changed her tune.

Seeing Payu every day was harder than it sounded. Since Payu had graduated and didn't often come to campus - apart from to tease Beam it seemed - the only place she knew to find him was at the garage.

So that's where she went. She had no idea what she was going to do when she saw Payu, but Sky's plan to see him every day was the only one she had. Letting Payu win by pretending that she had never made a bet with the man wasn't an option.

She couldn't see Payu anywhere when she arrived, but she spotted his bike and the mechanic who had been there last time. He was talking to the receptionist who eyed her suspiciously. Obviously, Beam wasn't the garage's usual clientele.

"Hello, is P'Payu here?"

While the receptionist's eyes narrowed, the mechanic's widened and he pointed at Beam.

"It's you, Mr Payu's girl! Are you here to see Mr Payu?"

"Yes, I'm here to see him."

"I'm afraid he isn't here."

"Oh... Isn't that his bike outside?"

"Huh? Oh. Yes, that's Mr Payu's bike, but he took a different one today. Sorry."

"That's okay... Thank you."

Beam said goodbye and left with a sigh and planned to try again tomorrow. But when she did, he wasn't there again, nor the day after that.

She was sitting in class wondering what to do next when Sky leaned over.

"How's it coming along? Your mission to seduce a guy."

"I haven't even seen his face."

"That's why I told you to get through step one first... Before thinking about step two, step three, step four."

"Sky, what should I do?"

"You should... finish your work before you don't have any to submit! Haven't you started yet?"

"I've been having trouble focusing lately."

"That's not like you. Is P'Payu really messing with your head that much?"

"You're right! I can't believe it. I've become one of those girls that lose their head over a guy. What am I doing?"

Beam hid her face in her hands and Sky patted her on the back.

"There, there. It happens to everyone."

"Even you?"

She didn't see his grimace.

"Let's focus on you. What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to focus on my schoolwork. I'm not some silly little girl who only cares about some guy. Doing well in class is more important."

"That's the right attitude!"

While her words made Sky happy, they made Beam sad. Hearing Payu call her naive, stupid, and a silly little girl, echoed in her mind. It hurt. She didn't want to be any of those things.

"Sky, am I naive?"

"Well... yes."

"Oh. Am I stupid?"

"What? No! Beam, why are you asking me this?"

Her eyes darted around to avoid looking at Sky.

"No reason."

Sky laid a hand on her shoulder, and he tried to look her in the eye.

"Did someone call you these things? Who called you stupid? I'll teach them a lesson!"