Family and fish fries

Shiloh inched into the water after Nat uncertainly, fingers dragging over the surface. "Are there fish in here, ya think?" She murmured.

Natasha tilted her head back, listening to the world around them as the sun warmed her face. "Probably loads," she nodded. "Don't be so anxious, Shiloh. You're learning well."

"Like it better'an the runnin," she responded as Addy's laughter from the porch washed over them. Neither swimmer glanced up. "How long are we gonna be up here?"

"Well, generally, most of the team stays in the avenger's tower. I do, when I'm not on a mission. I thought we'd probably have our own little corner there. You like the others, right?"

Shiloh nodded. She dipped down, dunking herself briefly. "Can I ask you something?"

"I might not answer," Natasha replied honestly, even as she motioned her onward.

Shy laughed softly. "Yeah. Spy stuff," she smiled. "It's not that. It's...you know you could have a family an easier way than taking me in...right?"

Natasha studied her. "Probably," she agreed. "But I didn't decide to keep you because you happened along and I thought it would be easy. I decided I wanted you. Specifically you. That isn't going to change because you aren't an easy little baby that won't have your own history. We're all a little broken in our ways, Shadow. There's no reason we can't pick up a bottle of glue and change that, or let someone else fix the bits we just can't manage...maybe I need you too."

Shiloh eyed her skeptically. "Not sure why you'd need me, miss Nat..."

"Maybe you'll understand later, ok?" Natasha smiled. "In the meantime, let's get back to swimming. It's important to me that you know how, ok?"

"Ok," Shiloh nodded. "How far?"

"Go as far as you think you can, then three feet more, ok? We shouldn't push ourselves to failure but we should always strive to be better than we were yesterday."

Shiloh sucked in a steadying breath and dove forward. Her stroke was already practiced and she glided through the water with ease. She made three laps out to the mouth of the little cove the dock and cabin were situated upon before she began to tire and swim more casually around her guardian. "So, if we usually stay in the tower, we're here waiting on them to rebuild it?"

Natasha nodded, her hands below the surface. She seemed to be standing very still and Shy paused to watch curiously. "I want time for you and i to get used to one another," she murmured quietly, "Tony and Steve deserve a break, and I think the tower's collapse is still fairly fresh in mind." She lifted a fish from the water with a triumphant grin.

Shiloh laughed. "I'm sorry...bout the tower."

"That wasn't your fault, лапочка. Put this in the cooler. We nearly have enough to fry up."

Shiloh smiled as she rushed to do so. "Surprised Addy isn't down here?"

Natasha hummed. "I'm sure she'll get lessons eventually. Stark won't want her starting in the lake. For his peace of mind it will need to be a smaller scale. You ready to be done?"

Shy nodded. "Yeah. Gettin hungry. Can we make fries? I saw potatoes in the pantry..."

"I Think fries would be perfect," she agreed as they headed for shore.

The pair walked side by side, each holding one end of the cooler. Nat could've held it on her own but her mini me seemed to love any opportunity to help her so she slowed her steps and let her.

Steve was walking around one of the evergreens, gaze focused on the ground as he rambled on at Addy about the bird feeder they were going to make with a pinecone, peanut butter, and bird seed. What he didn't know was the girl wasn't listening and was already halfway to the others. "You actually caught some?"

Natasha smirked, knowingly at the back of the super soldier's head and nodded. "We caught enough to feed even that one," she nodded. "Here, I will start on cleaning these, you two start on the fries?"

Shiloh nodded. "Come on, Adds?" She took the littler girl by the hand and hurried inside.

___

Sam stepped up beside Bucky on the porch. His hair was shorter today and he couldn't help but wonder who this guy had let get that close to his scalp with a sharp object. "What's got you grinning like the cat that got the cream?"

Bucky raised a brow and nodded over his coffee cup toward Steve, half under a tree now. "He's watching the kid," he informed the other man.

Sam snorted. "He's fired. Kid's inside."

Bucky only nodded. That was precisely why he was smirking. "Hey punk? Missin somethin?"

"Huh?" Steve reappeared from beneath the the pine tree, needles sticking out of his blonde hair, and glanced around. He seemed to understand right away and his eyes narrowed. "Where is she?"

Bucky snorted. "Relax, punk. She went inside with Shiloh. You didn't completely fail your fella and let his daughter drown."

"That isn't even a little funny," he grumbled. Steve stood to his feet and brushed at his jeans. His hands were sticky from sap and she, apparently, didn't even want the pinecones he'd finally located. "Damnit."

"Language!" Sam snickered. "You Know She's a stark, right? I mean, she loves the animals and will probably help make the feeder but...procuring materials? That's usually a matter of ordering in or taking something apart...just cuz the kid's less annoying than her pops ain't mean she ain't at all like him..."

Bucky chuckled. "They're makin fries, punk. Go help and let him taste test. Probably easier than winnin the kid over."

Steve stomped toward the door. He'd do both and wipe those smug looks off his friends' faces. "Why do i bother with you two?"

"We're the only ones that put up with your bullshit," Sam retorted. "Gonna go make sure she knows how to do a fish fry. Didn't even see seasoning out there..."

______

Is it weird if I gotta reread my own story to know what to do? 😂🤦🏽‍♀️ cuz ummmm yeah....anywho. Here's a little filler chapter