Put a cover on it!

Addy hopped slowly down the stairs to Tony's workshop. She hesitated before slipping through the partially open doorway, stumbling into a nearby toolbox.

"Pepper I said I was sorry," Tony began the moment he heard the clatter. He paused as his eyes landed on the girl standing nervously before him. "Oh-it's you."

"Hi mr Stark, Miss Pepper said I should hang out with you," Addy replied quietly.

Tony scowled, "course she did. Look kid this isn't really a child friendly area and quite frankly I can't think with you here so...go away."

Addy wasn't listening, no sooner had she entered the room than her little feet led her straight for the many iron man suits in their glass cases. "Wow, are these all your suits?" She questioned in an awed tone.

"Mostly yes, I keep a couple in New York, could you not touch anything." Tony snapped in reply quickly wiping away the nonexistent finger prints from the nearest suit's encasement.

The girl ignored him completely walking along as she stared in fascination at his creations. "These are awesome! Mom says," Addy paused looking down sadly, "mom used to say that your suits were pretty neat but you made them the way did because you have an inferiority complex and need to be the center of attention."

Tony couldn't help but scoff at the kid. "I can assure you I do not have an inferiority complex." He responded crossing his arms in annoyance. "Besides what would she know she was probably a random hookup, one night thrill."

Addy glared back at him, "I'm not stupid I know what that means!" She snapped in annoyance, "it's not my fault you didn't know how to put a cover on! If anyone's the mistake here it's you."

"Hey watch it short stuff! How would you even know about 'putting a cover on it' you're like six-"

"-I'm seven!"

"Regardless, you have no clue what you're talking about." Tony dismissed her flatly. "Besides of the two of us you were the 'whoops' I was planned."

"Did your mommy tell you that?" Addy taunted pursing her lips and shifting her head with attitude as she went.

Tony made a face, "ehhh hu hu hu," he replied making nonsense noises and sticking out his tongue.

"Oh yeah that got me!" The girl scoffed rolling her eyes.

"Nya," Tony continued to make faces.

Addy finally responded in kind her little tongue poking past her lips, her eyes squinting in irritation, "Nya!"

Tony's large hand engulfed the small girl's face pushing her towards the stairs. "Go away 'whoops' I'm busy!"

"Oh look at me I'm Tony Stark I think I know everything!" The child mocked as she stomped up the stairs.

"Sheesh! What the hells her problem!?" He muttered into the air completely oblivious to the source of the girl's attitude change.

Addy stomped up the stairs and into the kitchen where Pepper stood fanning a smoking dish. "Hey Addy, how do you feel about pizza?" The redhead asked as she tossed the food into the trash.

"Fine, do I have a room here?" The girl questioned, clearly agitated. "It's sort of hard to storm off to your room when you don't have one."

Pepper stifled a laugh and headed for the stairs. "Of course you do kiddo, let's go pick one hmm?" She led her up the stairs and down to the end of the hall opening a heavy looking, wooden door. "Here we are, how's this?"

Addy slowly crossed the hardwood floor to the twin sized four poster bed. The mattress stood chest high to her with blue, purple, and green patterned feather blankets and plush looking throw pillows. "This is beautiful," she murmured running her hand across the soft fabrics."

"I'm sure it's not like what you had at home, but we can customize for you. Maybe add some paint? White walls aren't really all that great for a child's room." Pepper began fussing around the room pointing out things that could be changed and suggesting possible looks for the room. "Maybe this weekend you and I can head to some shops for some things. I know it won't be the same-"

"-it doesn't have to be the same, everything before is gone now anyway." Addy brushed her words aside ignoring the lump building in her throat as she thought of all she'd lost. She thought of her mother, of the scrapbooks they'd decorated together last year, all the crafts she'd made sitting on the shelf in her room, her pet gecko Felix. Aside from her mother Felix was what she was most heartbroken over. She'd rescued him three years earlier, he'd been a gift to one of the kids at school from their uncle. The moment Aiden's mom had set eyes on the tiny creature she'd lost it, screaming and throwing things at the ting panicked reptile. Addy had scooped him up a moment after he'd dropped his tail in terror. She'd been so proud nurturing the little guy as it grew back, they'd become close, or as close as one can get with a lizard. "Could we, could we maybe go to a pest store?"

Pepper's face grew sad, "did you have a pet Addy?

The girl shrugged, unwilling to talk further. "Could I be alone for a while please miss Potts?" She whispered, barely holding in the tears.

"Sure, I'll just be downstairs," Pepper responded gently.

The door had hardly closed when addy collapsed, sobbing, against the bed. How could her mother be gone? Candi Noble could best be described as a contradiction. In her job she was precise,organized, and accurate her mind taking in details that others generally missed. At home, however, the woman was scattered, irresponsible, and careless. Lauded as brilliant by many or her peers Candi could ever accept that as enough and regularly sought attention, usually from the most recent bar hookup.

It hadn't bothered Addy, not really. They mainly ran when they caught sight of her. There'd been a few that had stuck it out for a couple months, eventually even they had gone. Candi insisted it was their loss but Addy knew the truth, her mom was crushed every time and it was her fault. Not directly, not really, she hadn't tried to sabotage them or anything. A few months in there'd come a point where they'd clash, Addy and the man of the month, and Candi, for all her faults would never abandon her daughter.

It wasn't that she was your typical mother figure. She wasn't cuddles, homemade cookies, and good advice. Living with Candi as your mother was like living with the fun aunt. Addy learned about makeup at four. They scoped out men at restaurants when she was three. They stayed up late watching movies and eating popcorn, but not too much because Candi seemed to be perpetually dieting. Ultimately, Addy's friends thought her mom was awesome and while Addy had adored the woman, she'd always wished for the cuddles, the hot cookies after school with interest into her day not just her test scores. Now she'd easily accept the strange friendship she'd shared with her mother, never wishing for a more conventional family again, if only she could have her back.

"I told you, you were gonna burn down the house!" She mumbled bitterly into her tear soaked pillow. "Why couldn't you just remember?! Just that one thing?! Why'd you have to hook up with Tony, I'm so perfect I belch rainbows, Stark!?"

Slowly the girl cried herself to sleep, certain no one in the house would notice her absence anyway.

An hour later Pepper tiptoed in to check on her. Placing the plate of pizza she'd brought with her on the nightstand, she brushed the girl's hair out of her face and pulled the blanket up over her. "Sweet dreams little girl."

_________________________

Hey peoples!! It's me again. I've been working on this for days! I hope it's good and you like it. I love to hear from you so comment away they make my day. Ok guess I'll post this now and start on the next lol see you soon my pretties!! Later! 😄😄