Questionable attempts at good parenting

Addy tiptoed from her room in her father's home in New York. It always amazed her a little bit when JARVIS didn't rat her out but she was not about to question that and ruin it. They'd moved in nearly a month ago and despite many attempts by miss Decro no one had actually come to take her. This didn't keep the little girl from tensing and expecting the worst any time anyone official visited her father.

This fear had led her into her current activities the moment JARVIS had informed her that her father had company. She held her breath as before peeking around the corner only to let it out with an excited rush at the site before her. "Uncle Phil!" The girl rocketed from her position toward the familiar agent, launching herself into his arms for a hug. "How was New Mexico?"

Phil held her on his hip and ruffled her dark hair, "New Mexico was good, hot. How were the streets? Didn't join any gangs in the time it took Stark to catch up, did you?"

Tony mentally insisted he wasn't in fact jealous of the bond they seemed to share. He and Addy were...fine. They weren't great and they weren't exactly making what he'd consider daily improvement but things were ok. He knew she didn't trust him, saw the fear in her eyes with every  visitor. Tony just wasn't certain how to go about mending it. They'd only just begun making  progress before that mistake he tried not to think about. So, yeah, kid didn't hate him but she clearly wasn't eager to go running into his arm. He was definitely not pouting ok!

Addy giggled, the sound only further cementing Tony's, not jealousy, and shook her head. "Is he in trouble again?"

"No, not this time," the man shook his head.

"I'll call a nanny this time shall I?" Pepper whispered with a small grin.

Addy scowled, "nanny? Why do I need a nanny? Where are you guys going?"

Tony cringed and glanced pleadingly toward Pepper, "Uh, agent here needs iron man. We're not having a repeat of the expo."

"I'm sorry kiddo, I've gotta catch a flight to D.C. tonight," Pepper added. "It will be ok, promise. I'll find you someone great!"

"You're leaving me? Both of you?"

Tony visibly paled, "not like that kid, just not putting you in danger again. You'll be fine, I'll check in lots and you'll have Jarvis and whoever Pep hires, promise."

"Fine," the girl sighed, avoiding his gaze. "You'll make sure he comes back? Promise uncle Phil?"

"Promise munchkin," he nodded firmly. "Now, shouldn't you be asleep?"

"She was," Tony muttered defensively, going ignored.

"Really did a number on that kid didn't you Stark?" The man scolded quietly as he boarded the elevator to leave.

Pepper kissed his cheek, "I'll have someone in by morning to watch Addy, try and get some rest yeah? Before you go off heroing?"

"Sure thing Pep," Stark replied, neither of them fooled by the lie.

__________

He shouldn't have been surprised really. Naturally the unattainable mark of perfection, the paragon of goodness and righteousness that he'd found himself held up against and found lacking throughout his childhood would take one look at him and agree with all previous assessments. Why the hell not? Naturally captain perfection would see Tony's every flaw and be repelled.

Tony responded to it as he always did, bravado and sarcasm dripping from every word. If it only served to convince his, apparent, team leader his initial assessment was correct well old habits and all that right?