Chapter One: A Different Dimension

"Grandma, can I go out please?" I asked as I skipped to the kitchen, where my Grandma was cooking dinner. She was cooking what smelled like chicken, and I could see a wrapper that belonged to mashed potatoes, which was going to be our side dish. We always had chicken and mashed potatoes on a Sunday. Our kitchen was very big, unlike the other rooms in the house. It was the only room that was decorated and painted. Grandpa knew the kitchen was Grandma's favorite place, so for her birthday he re-did it for her. It was the happiest I think I saw my grandma.

"I don't know, it's getting late and you'll be alone." My Grandma sighed, resting her hand on the red counter. My Grandma was always very protective over me, and hated it when I was by myself. Ever since my parents died in a house fire while I was with Grandma for the weekend her whole attitude changed. Of course her son just died, but it seemed more than that. I never really knew my parents they died when I was three years old, so that was 10 years ago, but I could still hear my Grandma cry about it at night sometimes when she thinks I'm asleep. I knew she missed my father there was no denying that, I wish I was able to meet him, I wish I could've meet my mother too.

"I'm 13 I'm pretty sure I can take care of myself." I begged. "Plus I won't go anywhere, and you would just have to call my name when the food is done." I added with a smile trying my best to convince her. She let out a shaky breath before answering my question.

"Okay but be safe dear, I'll call you in an hour or so for dinner." Once my Grandma said that I thanked her, kissed her cheek, and ran out of the door as fast as I could to our backyard. It was beautiful out here. We had a garden on the side of our house, and nice bright green grass. There were paths leading to different parts of the forest that was behind my Grandma's house. I enjoyed just being outside. I felt happy and relaxed. It was one of the only places where I really felt calm, and at home. The outside was my safe place.

The forest surrounded my Grandma's house, except the front, where the road was located. The forest was huge, and had very bright pastel colors. Once you walked in the forest though it was dull. I always found the beauty in it though, just soaking in every color, and every sound. I tried to find the good in everything sorta like a yin-yang. Even though there is a bad side it has some good in it. I felt connected when I was outside, I felt at peace.

I walked through the grass embracing the sunlight, feeling happy that it was nice out today. No rain, it's not too hot, and it's not too cold. This day just seemed perfect.When I was outside everything seemed to fall into place, everything just seemed to come together.

I started to skip down a familiar path, stopping every now and then to admire everything, this was one of my favorite paths. It was surrounded by different color, and birds mostly gathered around this part. I just figured it was because that's where the sunlight shone through the most, and this path was a quite and simple. I smiled to myself and walked further down the dusty path then I usually do knowing that the forest was safe, I mean I'm old enough I could take care of myself. I walked down different paths before, and I was perfectly fine. It was amazing how beautiful the forest was. It had almost every flower you could think of, and every bird you could think of. It was calming to say the least. The forest was my home, I loved the energy it gave off. It was one of the greatest feelings in the world when I was outside. The warm air would embrace me, and the slight wind would blow my dusty light brown hair.

I was amazed by the newer part of the forest. I saw things I never saw or heard of before. The path lead to other paths, and I decided to go down one of the middle paths, looking around me to admire the new surroundings. It wasn't that much of the a change, but I noticed all the small differences, that people wouldn't notice, or care about. I enjoyed that fact, because when I'm out with my grandparents, or cousins they seem amazed when I point out that kind of stuff, like I discovered something new. They say I'm gifted, but I know if they enjoyed the outside and paid close attention they could do it too, but it's always nice to hear compliments about that, because it's what I loved doing.