All Too Well | 5

When Vi first moved in Owl Point Reef Light, she was pleased to discover that her tiny bathroom was equipped with a comfortable bathtub. What she hadn't imagined was how she would put it into use.

Nothing could prepare her for having a mermaid splashing her ginormous tail inside the small tub's water.

Apparently though, mermaids could only survive this long on Earth without suffocating. When Caitlyn started choking on - apparently - plein air in the middle of the night, Vi panicked. At first, she didn't know what she was supposed to do and then Caitlyn started making wild gestures towards the sea, until it dawned on her. Vi now found herself standing at the bathroom's door, back pressed against the door frame, not sure what to make of the sight in front of her; Caitlyn's tail protruding out of the tab while her head was under water. Every once in a while, she would pull it out and every time she would return Vi's whimsical look. It was the following morning after the suffocating incident and only a couple of days after Vi had found the mermaid bleeding out at the coast. Needless to say that the last few days had been surreal for both of them.

When Caitlyn pulled her head out of the water again, Vi decided to speak. "Are you sure you want to do this? I can go have a look myself."

"While I do trust that you can accomplish such a task, I need to be certain that your information concerns the right location."

"I'm no expert, but perspective is different from below the water," Vi pointed out matter-of-factly. "How can you be sure?"

"I think I will know," Caitlyn assured. "Please, I have to be certain. I cannot afford any mishaps."

In truth, the real reason why Vi discouraged Caitlyn from tagging alone wasn't because she didn't believe she could be useful, but because she was worried about her condition. Her wounds had healed in a surprising speed, and Vi wasn't sure if she should attribute that to Caitlyn's different biology. Still, she could not be sure that her condition would not deteriorate if she pushed herself too hard in pursuit of Seraphine's alleged kidnappers.

"A'right," Vi mumbled. "I've pinpointed two spots in the town. When you are ready, we can go."

"I am." Caitlyn placed her hands on the sides of the tub but Vi stopped her before she could move.

"Wait!" Vi turned red. "Let me get you some clothes first."

"I have no use of earth-made fabrics," she argued.

Vi rolled her eyes. "And you can't go around butt-naked, cupcake. Wait until I get you something decent to wear."

Truly, Vi didn't own very fancy clothes or anything too formal. Most of her clothes were chosen specifically for their comfort due to the nature of her job. She finally chose a pair of jeans and a white shirt alongside some underwear before she returned back to the bathroom. "Here, these are for you." She placed them on a small stool in the corner. "I'll be waiting outside."

Perhaps Vi misinterpreted or didn't heed enough attention to Caitlyn's previous statement about her not needing "earth-made fabrics"; it was true that she did not need clothes underwater, which meant that she had never touched a piece of clothing in her life. This omission on Vi's part left her completely unprepared for the sight that came before her as the bathroom door swung open; Caitlyn's arms neatly through the jean trousers, the bra and underwear hanging from one ear like earrings and one foot stuck through the sleeve of the white shirt. The sight was amusing at best and hilarious at worst. It was like watching a toddler figuring out clothes for the first time. "What?" Caitlyn asked, watching Vi choking behind her palm. "What's so funny?"

"My God," Vi giggled uncontrollably through her tears. "Please, let me help you."

It took all of Vi's self-control not to continue laughing as she helped Caitlyn into her clothes. She was careful enough not to touch her somewhere inappropriately and cause her discomfort or accidentally insult her. It was really hard not to stare, but Vi was better than that. Caitlyn had a kind of innocence, almost childlike, but Vi didn't want to make her uncomfortable under any circumstances.