Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire | 7

Silence descended, thick as midnight, and the crescendo of uneven breaths increased significantly, either out of complete and utter shock or because of the pervading agony that poised Vi's veins.

"Cait, what the fuck are you doing?" she hissed, only to be silenced by a gun's barrel pointed at her face.

Silco walked over Caitlyn with decisive steps, completely ignoring Vi's complaints. He kneeled in front of her and reached for her neck, and for a terrifying moment, Vi believed he was going to struggle her as punishment for her outright audacity. Instead, he retrieved a golden seashell-shaped necklace which Vi had not noticed before and examined it with his curious good eye. He hummed. Then he glanced back at Seraphine who was shaking, looking back and forth between him and Caitlyn.

"Boss, how can you be so sure that this is not a trick?" Sevika objected but Silco silenced her with a gesture.

"Yes, I suppose this will suffice," he agreed eventually, addressing Caitlyn. "Very well, then. Gentlemen, escort our guests back to their vehicle. Make sure they find the right way out... and that they don't make the foolish decision to return. And you heard the lady; don't hurt any of them."

Vi wriggled, trying to set herself free, but it was all in vain. "Caitlyn, no!" she shouted in desperation. "You can't do that, you can't-"

"Stay quiet, or else all of you will pay the price of your foolishness and none of this will matter," Silco threatened in his hissing voice, but Vi's eyes remained locked on Caitlyn who outrightly refused to return her gaze. He then nodded at his men who grabbed each of them and forced them on their feet. Vi continued resisting, but with her hands tied there was nothing she could do. She managed to get one last glance of Caitlyn over her shoulder before she was pushed out of the room, feeling just as helpless as she had felt when Powder had first fallen ill.

Silco's goons led them back outside from the front door, forcing them to walk in a straight line one after another. Vi could hear Seraphine struggling to contain her sobs, trying to put on a brave face and stay strong, something that she was incapable of doing herself. Her mind was lost in a fog, unable to accept what was happening. It was almost as if her feet dragged her all the way back to Jayce's SUV where SIlco's men cut their tights off and forced them to drive away. Even as they left the Wilson Manor behind, they still could feel the guns pointed at their backs. Finally, Jayce took the turn towards New Meadow and the threat was gone, although none of them felt even remotely relieved.

It was Jayce who finally broke the silence. "What the fuck is going on?" he exclaimed. "Did you know about this?" He addressed Vi. "Did you know about this madness? Is it even true?"

Vi drummed her fingers against the window. "Now's not a good time for that, Jayce. Stop the car."

"So it is true, then. Oh my God-"

"I said, stop the fucking car!"

"It's pointless, Vi," Ezreal tried to reason with her. "You cannot possibly think you can go against Silco's gang by yourself-"

"We are wasting time!" Vi hissed. "I won't say it again Jayce, pull over!"

Jayce finally obliged and slammed the breaks. Vi exited the car first and slammed the door behind her. "Go inform the police and take Seraphine with you to testify."

"They will not believe us without proof, and it will take them ages to issue a warrant-"

"You are sleeping with one of the city councilors' Jayce, figure something out!"

Jayce's ears turned scarlet. "Fine!"

"Go now and don't waste any more time!"

"Wait!" Ezreal yelled. "I'm coming with you."

"Ez-"

The slamming of the door prevented her from finishing whatever it was she was going to say. "Unless you have something important to say, let's not just stand here," he interrupted.