Prologue

AN: Well, the votes weren't many, but since the Gulf War got the most mentions, that's what I'm going with.

~~~

Kuwait-Iraq Border
101st Airborne Staging Area

February 23, 1991
1800 hours

The command tent was filled with small chatter between officers of the 101st Airborne, and of course, the main topic was the start of the upcoming operation tomorrow.

"Think we'll meet any Republican Guard¹ on our way there?" A lieutenant, judging by his shoulder badge, a 1LT. Asked one of the older officers, who was silent for a second before responding, "Hopefully not, don't want to get assfucked by A.A., that's if the Wild Weasels² haven't shut 'em up yet."

"Arc, my man, I haven't slept properly since we got here." Jaune heard from beside him; this was Gary Garcia, generally referred to as "G.G." or jokingly as "Hairy Gary" because he had more body hair than everyone else. he was a fellow 2LT he met and befriended during his time in Air Assault school back in Fort Campbell.

He is a twenty-six-year-old native-born Filipino; he and his family moved to the U.S. in 1978 to escape from the increasingly autocratic rule of Ferdinand Marcos³. He has a light brown skin tone, wavy dark brown hair, and a flat nose. He stands at 5'6" or 1.68 metres, much shorter than the average American male, though he says this is considered tall back in his native country.

Jaune chuckled. "Thought you'd be used to the sound of choppers and jets by now?" Garcia scoffed, "It's the nerves, man. This ain't gonna be like ⁴Panama. We're fighting a peer opponent here." Before Jaune could reply, he heard one of the majors yell out,

"101st! Attention!"

And in the blink of an eye, the discussion immediately stopped as all the men inside the room stood up and straightened themselves up, not a moment later. In walks in the commanding General of the 101st Airborne, Major General J. H. Binford Peay III.

"At ease," the General says, and everyone in the room does so, "take a seat, gentlemen, this might take a while."

Everyone then sits as two PVTs set up the projector and the screen.

The General clears his throat, "Alright, Listen up! Tomorrow at 0400 hours, G-Day will begin, XVIII Corps, which is the one the 101st is assigned to..."

As the General continues his briefing, Jaune sighs and tries his best to pay attention...

~~~

Highway 8, Iraq
February 28, 1991 
0900 hours

Jaune took a long drag from his Marlboro Red; the blazing heat of the desert sun bore down on the rest of the 101st. He looked around the makeshift checkpoint they set up two days ago to block Iraqi supplies from reaching Kuwait.

Well, mission accomplished, sort of. 

They did stop some guy from delivering onions a day ⁵prior, and an hour ago, a ceasefire came into effect.

Anyway, for some godawful ⁶reason, he's thinking back to how he ended up on Earth (strange name that) in the first place.

Flashback

"Ah come on Snow Angel, it won't be that bad. Just tell me what needs doing, and I promise not to screw it up." Jaune says to Weiss, excited to be partnered with her.

"Stop calling me that!" she exclaims, then sighs. "Fine, let's just get this over with."

And so the class went as normal as it could be. Jaune tried asking Weiss out again and got rejected.