Bayonets and Chainsaws

The Continent of Sanus, Remnant
Far South of the Ruins of Mountain Glenn, 1km away from Firebase Drake
November 6, 1991/March 31, 90 AGW
1559 hours

As the sun cast its golden rays over the rugged terrain, the Marines of the 1st LAR pushed forward, their vehicles weaving through the dense forest. They were on a crucial reconnaissance mission, tasked with identifying suitable routes for the 573rd CO to clear a path and, in turn, create a way for the 2nd Tank Battalion.

As Corporal Ramirez sat beside LtCol Mitchell Reynolds, he watched the radio frequencies, waiting for updates or reports. The radio crackle broke the silence, and a voice came through.

"Viper Six, this is Viper One-One. We've scouted ahead and identified two potential paths for Termite to clear. Over," reported Sergeant Baker, the lead vehicle commander.

Mitchell took the radio handset and replied, "Viper One-One, this is Viper Six Actual. Describe the two paths, Sergeant."

"We've scouted the terrain, sir," Baker's voice crackled back, "Route Alpha appears to have relatively open terrain with scattered tree coverage. It would be more suitable for the engineers to clear. On the other hand, Route Bravo has denser vegetation but provides better natural cover for infantry movement."

Mitchell quietly contemplated the available options. He considered the need for a clear path for the tanks and the importance of preserving the safety of the accompanying infantry.

"Viper One-One, this is Viper Six Actual," Mitchell replied. "I appreciate the report. Given the mission's priority of ensuring the engineers can effectively clear the path while maintaining infantry cover, I recommend prioritizing Route Alpha. It will provide better mobility for the tanks while offering adequate cover for infantry movement. Over."

"Copy that, Viper Six," Baker acknowledged. "We'll mark Route Alpha as the priority path for the engineers. Out."

Mitchell nodded, satisfied with the decision. He turned to Ramirez. "Corporal, inform the rest of the convoy about the chosen route. Make it clear to stay alert. We aim to ensure the engineers can effectively clear the way for the tanks."

Ramirez saluted. "Yes, sir. I'll relay the message and make sure everyone is aware."

With their plan in place, the Marines of the 1st LAR continued their advance, guided by their mission to identify the best route for the engineers of the 573rd Company to clear.

The rumble of engines echoed through the dense forest as the 573rd Engineer Company followed in the wake of the 1st LAR. Their convoy consisted of M728 Combat Engineer Vehicles (CEVs), M9 Armored Combat Earthmovers (ACEs), and potent D7 Caterpillar Armored Bulldozers moving steadily along the marked route. The engineers wasted no time, quickly dismounting from their vehicles and springing into action.

With chainsaws in hand, the soldiers skillfully felled the towering trees that obstructed the way, their metallic roar blending with the thud of falling trunks. The armoured bulldozers pushed aside fallen logs and crushed thick undergrowth, creating a passage wide enough for the tanks to navigate through.

However, as the relentless sound of machinery echoed through the wilderness, an eerie hush settled in the air. Unknownst to the soldiers, their actions had attracted the attention of the Grimm, drawing them closer with a sinister curiosity. The tension thickened as shadows danced among the trees, foreshadowing an impending confrontation with Remnant's vicious creatures.

1625 hours

"Do you feel like we're being watched?" Asked Private Naminski; as the engineers cleared the path, the roaring engines and the screeching of chainsaws filled the forest. Leading the 573rd Engineer Company, Captain Allen glanced around, a sense of unease creeping up his spine.