Laugh So You Don't Cry

WARNING // breakdowns , death

Authors Note: I am SO SO sorry for the long wait. If you're still here THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I just wanted to say that I will never give up Hang Em' High. I love you guys so much. Every comment, chapter vote and read means the world to me. You're all my heros. Thank you SO much again!! Xoxo

The sun rose like any other morning, the trees swayed like any other morning, and the rabbits leaped through the grass, just like any other morning. But today the air settled differently on your skin. You cradled your freshly brewed coffee and shivered in the morning mist. The sun was barely peaking through the tops of the trees as great thick clouds began to take over the sky. The sun easily submitted to the clouds like it didn't want to witness the events the day held. You were in a daze, staring at the entrance of Shady Belle. Imagining what you'd do if people attacked. You could throw coffee in their face if they grabbed you from behind, you thought. Or perhaps shoot one of the many crates of dynamite that lay around camp if things got out of hand.
"What are you thinking about?" Asked a sweet voice, you turned your head to see Tilly walking into view
"World domination." You replied. She took a seat next to you.
"How's that going for you?"
"Very well actually, thank you. How are you?" You questioned, elbowing her playfully
"cold," she replied quickly
"Yeah, it's a icy morning, you should go get something hot inside you," you suggested
"I've just had some eggs,"
"Them ones in the back of the cupboard?"
"Yeah?"
"They're out of date. Been there for months." Her face dropped "I'm joking." You both laughed
"Can I ask you something, y/n?"
"Of course Tilly,"
"how do you-"
A loud crash came from round the front of the house followed by argumental yells. You got to your feet and rushed around the corner, Javier was yelling in Spanish, presumably not very nice things, and Bill was staring at the ground. You followed his eyes to see guns laying in a thick muddy puddle.
"You puta Bill Williamson!" Yelled Javier
"You put all the weight on me! And the ground is slippy!"
"What have you- oh you haven't" sighed Tilly
"Idiots, the both of you," you added
"Very insightful observation as always y/n,"
"Anytime Williamson. Who a matter of seconds ago dropped a thousand dollars worth of guns on the floor, in a massive pool of muddy slop." You smiled brightly at him and he stormed past you. You, Javier and Tilly began picking up the weapons "careful you don't set any off,"
"They're not loaded," explained Javier
"Doesn't matter, a rock or anything could come flying out,"
"Intelligent as ever miss y/l/n" spoke Dutch as he walked up behind you all "I hear Bill Williamson had bit of an accident,"
"You make it sound like I shit my pants!" Yelled Bill from over in the distance
"Wouldn't be surprised if you had." Muttered Dutch so only those on the floor could hear. "Get your ass over here now Williamson and pick up these weapons. Y/n, will you kindly help me? Williamson you're on guard duty as punishment for being as smart as a Trout in a straw hat. Tilly, you're free to do whatever it is Mrs Grimshaw has planned for you," smiled Dutch, placing a hand on Tillys shoulder before helping you both off your feet.

Your fingers were moist as you sat on the balcony with Dutch. You had a wet rag in one hand and a muddy repeater in the other.
"Why do we need more guns?" You questioned
"We're going to do a job in Saint Denis," he replied "robbing the tram station."
You raised your eyebrows at the surprising news "I see,"
"I think it's a good idea," he quickly mentioned
"Why wouldn't it be?" You questioned, you spoke knowing of a few reasons why, but you wanted to see how his brain was working
"Bronte," he began to explain
"I don't trust him." You stated blankly
"Nobody does, nobody should."
"You seemed to," you spoke without thinking and he looked up at you
"It's an act, y/n. All of it." He explained "if someone thinks you believe every word they say whilst planning a retaliation for when they try backstab you. They're going to completely underestimate you, it's basic manipulation."
"I know that," you explained "I just didn't think you did."
He laughed "I've been around a lot longer than you have miss y/l/n, there's not much that gets past me,"
You looked back down to your muddy weapon and continued scrubbing it clean.
"I didn't think there was, it's just- wow you're really good at pretending," you slightly laughed, impressed.
"Why thank you," he smiled "I've been doing a lot of that recently" he muttered under his breath and you pondered what that meant.