Something's wrong

Nami woke up as an ambulance screamed past, sirens on full blare.

'Jeez.' She mumbled, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. Luffy's jacket fell from her lap and hit the floor with a dull thud.

She picked it up, frowning.

'I'm sure I gave this back...' she muttered. Then she remembered.

Her eyes widened as she looked around. He'd bought her home.

It was at this point that Nami remember that nobody was going to be home that afternoon.

How did he get in? Did he find the key? Oh god, he hadn't broken in, had he?

Nojiko came down the stairs, snapping her out of her thoughts.

'Morning sunshine.' Her sister said deviously. 'Sleep well?' Nami eyed her, confused.

'What's with that look?' She asked, her voice tipped with a hint of caution.

'Oh... its nothing.' Nojiko smirked. 'I was just admiring a picture of you. That's all.

'What photo? Nojiko let me see!' She demanded. Nojiko chuckled, refusing, and Nami resorted to chasing her around the entire house.

Finally, Nojiko relented, allowing her sister to see the photo. Nami's already fair skin paled and her eye's widened in shock.

'How did you...'

'Your boyfriend was like this when mum got home. Though I suppose you don't remember cos you were sleeping.' Nojiko teased.

'Come on sis, get rid of that!'

'Not a chance!'

'He's not my boyfriend, I swear!'

'I don't get why your trying to deny it. Pulling a guy like that is a feat to be proud of. Hell nami, I was impressed!'

'Honestly Nojiko, hear me out. I only met him yesterday day.'

'Wait... is he the one who-'

'Yeah.'

'You lucky girl!'

'My god Nojiko! Don't you get it?'

'Not really.'

'Let me explain.'

And so she did. Nami told her sister (most of) what had happened at school with arlong, and on her way home.

Eventually her sister believed her and went to get a glass of water. Nami wandered into her room and dropped down at her desk.

She felt a vibration in her pocket and pulled out bell-mére's phone. She had forgotten about it. She stared at the picture, noticing all the details she had missed before.

Nojiko was right. I really am lucky.

Luffy sat in the waiting room, curled up in a ball. He hadn't grabbed another jacket and was reaping the consequences.

It was getting dark, and still he had no news from the nurses. He was worried sick.

Beside him, a young family was mourning. They were missing a mother, he noticed. A small child lay abandoned on the seat next to him.

Oh. Luffy thought. She died in childbirth.

As he watched, the man, clearly heartbroken, went to strike the crying child. Luffy reached out and caught his hand, meeting the man's gaze. He looked shocked.

'I understand your upset sir, but please don't do anything that you'll regret.' He let the fathers hand go and watched it drop back to his side with a sob.

A nurse entered the room holding a bottle. She went to hand it to the man, but he refused to take it.

'Please sir.' The nurse pleaded. 'We are very busy.'

The man didn't move. Resigned, then nurse went to pick up the baby.

'I'll do it.' Said luffy, unravelling himself. 'Please. Just do everything you can for my brother.'

The nurses eyes widened and filled with tears. 'Thank you sir. We will.' She managed, hurrying out.

Luffy gently scooped up the baby and allowed it to latch onto the bottle of milk. He glanced at the phone lying on the seat beside him.

He wanted to call Nami, but was more than conscious of the fact that she was already carrying too many burdens. He didn't want to make himself one of them. It wasn't fair on her.

Nami reached for her phone. She should call him and thank him for carrying her home. But she hesitated.

She couldn't do it. Why would he even want to talk to her? Why waste his time?

So instead of unlocking her phone, she switched the phone onto silent and tried to get some more sleep. this, of course, did not happen. She felt as though something (or someone ;) was missing). the clock read 9:07 pm.

by 10pm, luffy was starting to get worried. ace was still out cold and the stupid nurses wouldn't let him in. they had already tried (and failed) multiple times to get the boy to leave, but he wouldn't budge. 

presently, a large rumble echoed across the almost empty waiting room. 

"sooooooooo huuuuuungryyyyyyyyyyy.' luffy whined, sliding down the chair. he watched the steady stream of nurses flowing in and out of ace's room and suddenly felt extremely guilty for thinking about himself.  an assistant walked up with a tray.

'mr. monkey.' she said patiently. 'you've been here almost 6 hours. Your brother is going to need quite some time, so i strongly suggest that you go home and get some rest.'

luffy plastered a grin on his face, purely for the benefit of the lady.

'i appreciate it, nurse lady, but sleeping isn't really my style.' he said matter of factly, vaguely aware that this might not be the greatest thing to tell a health professional.

'but sir, if you don't sleep, you die.' she replied, slightly cautiously. luffy's fake smile widened. 'well, i had that problem at first, but my digestive system adapted over time and now all i gotta do is eat a bunch.' he said, a touch of pride, of all things, in his voice. 

the nurse ignored this and sighed. 'well dear if your going to be this stubborn then at least take this.' she said, handing him a thin blanket.  'But you have to be gone before 7 in the morning tomorrow ok?'

luffy diverted his gaze, nodding reluctantly. the lady took her leave, placing a tray of slightly cold mashed potato, lamb and apple sauce on the seat beside luffy. he devoured it in seconds without complaint,. 

At 10:47, he finally decided to call nami. he was curious to know if she'd considered what he recommended to her the day before about taking a break from life for a while. if so, he wondered if he might be able to call in.

he was quite reluctant to return to his own home, as it was covered in blood that his brother had coughed and vomited up. that was a job that he felt he had to leave for the others. the sight hurt him too much. 

unsurprisingly, however, she did not pick up. sighing, luffy took out his headphones and proceeded to drown out his painful thoughts with music.