The Blue Book: One

This fucking game was rigged! Argh! I just wanted to throw my phone on the floor and stomp on it!
Instead, I slipped it into my pocket and ran a hand through my hair.

Hey, who was that?

A guy was sitting in my corner seat! I didn't own this coffee place but after all these years, most people knew that seat was reserved.

Not only had this person disturbed my routine, but he was also reading a book titled; "Is reality real?" What the fuck?!

The moment he lowered his book, however, my insides jumped at his stunningly handsome face.

Dark hair hung over a set of chocolate-colored eyes. His perfect nose complimented sculpted lips that almost imperceptibly moved as he read.

How long is it OK to look at someone before it becomes staring? Three seconds? Five? I had clearly passed the limit because when he finished his page, he looked up at me for a split second.

Was that a smirk? Fuck, I suddenly became very self-conscious. His gaze had already returned to the book and the moment had passed.

Had I imagined it? Ever since Kareem left me, I had a deep-seated fear that I was officially done. Surely, nobody would want me after I had hit the big four-oh.

Kareem had always complained that he never saw me. My clients paid well but were very demanding. If I didn't force myself to go to the shared workspace around the corner, I would probably never leave my house.

I sat down at a different table, desperately trying not to look at the pretty boy. I opened my Pinterest in an attempt to distract myself with pictures of nature but I failed miserably.

After I sneaked a few discreet peaks, the guy got up to leave. Or so I thought. He approached my table and said, "It's a great read!"

"Huh!" I mumbled in confusion. He had a pleasant voice, a neutral accent with an even pitch. Why did I suddenly imagine him singing?

"My book. You seemed very interested in it," he said smoothly. How old was he? Late twenties, early thirties? Oh, and why the fuck did he think that I was interested in his book?

"Why don't you keep this one, I can always get another copy," he said, holding out the blue-bound volume.

I took it from his outstretched hand, not understanding why, and mumbled, "Thank you".

What the fuck had just happened?

***

Tess was a spoiled bitch! I had spent so much time on her online identity and now she isn't convinced about the logo or the corporate color. She had already signed off on both weeks ago!

I ordered Chinese as soon as I got home and started the work from scratch.

***

I needed two things to feel human in the morning; a hot shower and a proper cup of coffee. I could take care of one and "Ginny's" handled the other.

Motherfucker! There was someone in my spot again. Had yesterday's incident just given everyone permission to sit there?

Oh, shit! It was him!

I sat down at my new regular table and whipped out my phone.

"Hey," he said, sitting down in front of me. What the hell!

"That seat is taken," I said gruffly.

"By who?" the guy asked, looking around.

"Look! I am not interested in..."

"We know each other," he said, shattering my train of thought.

Surely, I would have remembered a hottie like him but my mind tried doing the inventory of everyone I ever met, anyway.

"From a previous life," he continued with an almost irresistible smile.

Was he for real?

"Did you read the book?" he asked, cheerfully.

"I didn't have time," I muttered. Why was I still talking to him?

"Time isn't something you have, it is something you make," he said, tracing a circle on the table with his finger.

That's it! I finished my coffee and got up. I had a lot of work to do before my meeting.

As I grabbed my things, he said, "Please, don't waste your time on things that are meaningless."

***

After a two-hour video call with Tess, I wasn't any closer to understanding what she wanted. I had a sneaking suspicion that even she didn't know.

Now that I thought about it, Tess was probably wasting her father's money on my services just to give herself purpose. Was I nothing more than a hobby? A distraction?

Tess's punctual payments paid the rent but was it really worth it?