9. violence

My eyes fluttered open to the sound of loud screeching in the distance. I sat up, holding onto my head. "Fuck." My head throbbed all over. I felt around my head until I felt the sticky feeling of blood and a tender spot on my head. My sight took a few seconds to adjust, just in time to see the tower soaring past the ledge I was on. I could hear Emily screaming on the way down. I crawled over and watched the tower continue its descent downwards. I was about to call out to her until I remembered what she did. I immediately grew angry and I had decided then and there I was going to make her regret that. Unsure of how. But I would. I stood to my feet, taking in my surrondings. I stumbled a little, the pain I felt in my head increasing as I stood up. I let out a groan.

"Where the fuck am I?" I whispered to myself. 

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and attempted to turn on the flashlight before realizing it had been broken in the fall, the screen completed shattered. I let out a groan and put it back in my pocket. I took a view steps forward before something metallic on the ground caught my eye. I reached for it and as I picked it up, I realized it was one of those older flip lighters. With a sigh of relief, I flipped it open and turned it on, sticking it out in front of me. It wasn't much, but better than the dim lighting that was this cavern or mine or wherever the fuck I was. I continued walking forward, ignoring the finding an opening to another area. I almost tripped over some mine tracks but I steadied myself. There was a broken wooden door; it seemed like something had sent something through it, causing the door to break and creating a new entrance. I walked past the broken door and into a very large room. There seemed to be a few machines and an old elevator in the shaft. I walked up to the elevator, using my lighter to light the sconce on the wall beside it and stepping onto the platform. I reached for the lever on the back wall of the elevator and I switched it on. The elevator shook for a few seconds before suddenly going up and coming to a harsh stop about two floors up. 

I finally realized I was in a giant mine shaft. Neither Josh or his family had ever brought this up to us, or at least to me. So, I just assumed they didn't know. I looked at my hand which still burned from the steel slicing my palm open. I held the lighter up to my hand, examining the wound. My hand was covered in dirt, dust, and blood from my palm as well as the wound on my head. I felt the blood from my head on my neck and ears as well. 

"That's gonna get infected, fuck." 

I muttered. I tried to wipe some of the dirt off, but could only get some off. I took a step forward and looked down the long walkway, seeing a figure of a largely built, what I assumed to be, man. He had something huge on his back, a spout sticking out from the end of it. I could see the goggles covering his eyes. I immediately bolted, instantly regretting my choice to not hide behind the wall when I heard him call out to me. 

"Hey, come back here!" He had a rough voice with a southern accent to it. 

Nobody I recognized. Tears filled my eyes as I realized this might be the guy who killed Josh. I continued running as fast as I could. My calves burned as well as my lungs, but I didn't stop until I tripped on a rock and fell onto my face. I let out a groan as I struggled to get up. I could feel the blood oozing from my nose. My head still continued to pount as I got to my feet. I could hear his footsteps getting closer as I hit a dead end. A locked wooden door blocked me from going any farther. I tried to open it, bashing my shoulder against it with full force but to no use. I spun around as I heard him approach me.