3. memento mori

(One year later.)

(Y/N)

Has a crush on Josh.

Practical. Determined. Aggressive.

Sam and I sat togther on the bus, which wasn't even planned. I got in, and she called me over to sit with her. I awkardly took a seat.

"You look different."

"Yeah. I guess I changed my style up a bit."

Sam smiled. "I'm enjoying the whole grunge vibe."

I nodded and smiled softly.

"Did you see Josh's video?"

"Hmm?"

"Here, look." She turned her phone on and pulled up a video.

"Welll hello, friends and fans! Alright, let's do that again. Alright! Well hello friends and fans! It's beyond awesome to have you guys all back this year. First off, I gotta say I am super excited to welcome all my pal to the annual Blackwood winter getaway!" He paused for a moment, and his voice softened. So, um... Let me just let you know, let's take a moment to ddress the "Elephant in the room" for a second. I know you're all probably worried about me and I know it's gonna be tough on all of us going back after what happened last year. But, just want you all to know... it means so much to me that we're doing this. And I know it would mean so much to Hannah and Beth that we're all still here together, thinking of them. I really want to spend some quality time with each and every one of you and share some moments that we'll never forget, for the sake of my sisters, you know? Okay... so! Let's party like we're fucking porn stars, okay? And make this one a trip we will never forget, alright? Yes!"

She turned her phone off.

"He seems...okay."

"Yeah. I'm really glad. I was so worried about him over this past year," Sam said, looking down at her lap. "I tried to reach out to him a few times. He never answered." An awkward silence fell between us until the bus stopped. 

"Here's your stop ladies," he smiled at us, a pervy grin spread across his face.

We stood. As we walked to the front, he still hadn't opened the doors. "Uh, thank you." He continued to look at us with that same weird expression. 

I looked him up and down. "Do you need something?"

"Are either of you free anytime soon?"

Sam grabbed my hand. "No, sorry. We are up here for our 2 year anniversary. Isn't that right, babe?" She smiled at me. I stared at our hands for a second. "Uh, yeah." He looked disappointed as he opened the door and wished us a good night. We glanced at each other before hauling our bags off the bus and stepping onto the snowy ground. 

We watched the bus drive away before we began to laugh. "What a fucking fossil dude!" 

"I know." I said. "That was pretty smart of you back there."

"Aw, don't mention it. It works 70% of the time, depending on the guy," she paused and looked towards the trail above us. "We should probably get moving shouldn't we?" I nodded. I adjusted the strap of my duffle bag on my shoulder and we began to walk towards the big gate that opened the entrance to the way to the cable car. We made small talk, talking about Sam's job at the animal shelter and the daycare. I didn't tell her about how my year went. 

After a few minutes of walking, we made it to the gate. A white sheet of printer paper with the words 'please open' underlined in bold was taped to the lock. I unfolded it and read it. "Shit."