Chapter 6: I'm gonna kick Deans ass

"Alright, I figured we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, and then head south. We should hit Bisbee by midnight," Dean says as he turns off the car.

"Sam wears women's underwear." Dean yells.

"I've been listening. I'm just busy." Sam replies.

"Busy doin' what?" Alexis asks, setting her journal down beside her.

"Reading e-mails."

"E-mails from who?" Dean asks, getting out of the car.

"My friends at Stanford." Sam answers.

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean asks, walking around the car.

"Why not?" Sam asks.

"Well," Dean pauses. "What exactly do you tell them? About where you've been, what you've been doing?"

"Dean, let him be," Alexis says. "Does it really matter?"

"I'm just sayin'." Dean shrugs.

"I tell 'em I'm on a roadtrip with my big brother and a friend of his and that I needed some time off after Jess." Sam replies.

"Which makes sense." Alexis mumbles.

"Oh, so you lie to 'em." Dean exclaims.

"No, I just don't tell them...everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying." Dean chuckles.

"And we should know. We do that for a living." Alexis laughs slightly, leaning against the front seat.

"But, hey man, I get it. Telling 'em the truth is far worse." Dean continues.

"So, what do you want me to do, cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asks.

"No, I mean, it's not like you have to. I still keep in touch with Mae." Alexis says as Dean shrugs his shoulders. Mae was a girl she met in tenth grade when she was on a case. They became friends and still talk every once in a while.

"You're serious, the two of you are kind of antisocial, you know that?" Sam says.

"Yeah, whatever." Dean replies. "Look, it sucks, but a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Dean says.

"Okay, sure." Alexis mutters, rolling her eyes.

A few seconds of silence go by before Sam speaks up again.

"God." He mumbles.

Dean leans down to the passenger window and Alexis leans against the front seat again.

"What?" Dean asks.

"This e-mail from Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam states sarcastically.

"She hot?" Dean asks.

A burning feeling fills Alexis' chest as she rolls her eyes. "Dean, shut the hell up."

"What?" Dean asks defensively.

"Anyway, I went to school with her and her brother, Zach. Rebecca says he has been charged with murder, and has also been arrested for killing his girlfriend. She claims he didn't do it, but....sounds like the cops got a pretty good case." Sam explains.

"Sam, I know making friends is hard, but that doesn't mean you have to befriend a murderer." Alexis declares.

"She's right," Dean says. "Dude, what kind of people are you hanging out with?"

"No, man, I know Zach. He's no killer." Sam replies.

"Yeah, well, maybe you know Zach as well as he knows you." Dean says.