𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

jalaiah | four years later

"Bakari Mitchell? you are under arrest, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time. Do you understand your rights that have been read to you?" The officer said standing in front of Bakari and I as we came out of the store from shopping for the kids.

"Man, what the fuck is this! I ain't do shit!" Bakari mugged them. "Baby call my lawyer and take the girls to my momma house." Bakari told me.

I nodded as jenesis and jenissa cried in the stroller, I pushed the double stroller back and forth to quiet them down but they were scared and honestly so was I.

One of the black female officers helped me get the girls in the car as well as our shopping bags that Bakari had dropped due to the other officers detaining him. I drove in silence calling our family lawyer and Mama Brenda.

I pulled into her house and got the girls out of the car. "oh my goodness, what happened? Are y'all ok?" Ms. Brenda asked rushing to help me carry both car seats.

"we were coming out of the store with the girls when three cop cars pulled up and arrested Bakari." I told her as we walked into the house and got the girls situated.

"why?" Brenda asked, I looked everywhere except for her.

"you know the body that's been on the news lately? well..." i told her the full story.

three weeks later

I sat in the courtroom watching everything go down in front of me. "Bakari could be facing up to 25 years in jail if he doesn't take the plea deal. If he took the plea the sentence is reduced to 12.5 years and he'll be out on early parole based on good behavior, but your husband does have a lengthy record, Mrs. Mitchell." Our lawyer informed us.

"Than I'll take the plea deal" Bakari shrugged making me turn and mug him.

"No the fuck you're not! Baby, i need you, we need you. I cannot raise three kids without you." I sniffled holding my stomach.

"three?" He looked down at my stomach and a smile crept onto his face.

This wasn't how I planned on telling my husband that we were expecting for the second time, but i didn't know what else to do.

"I'm pregnant" i sniffled laying my head on his chest.

Bakari was happy about the announcement but facing his current situation he couldn't be away from his wife and kids for 25 years, so he was going to take the plea deal either way.

He wanted to be home with his family instead of spending his late twenties locked up like he did most of his teenage years. "if i take the plea i could be home in 6 years. But if I'm not, i don't want you to wait for me. you should live your life and find happiness for you and the girls, i love you baby." bakari pecked my lips repeatedly.

His words went in one ear and out the other. My brain or heart couldn't comprehend what was being told to me. "no, it's us against the world remember?" my eyes softened looking into his tear filled eyes. It broke him to say those words to me.

Bakari averted his gaze and turned to his lawyer, "I'm taking the plea deal" he spoke, his lawyer nodded and walked out of the room leaving us by ourselves.

"you have to be strong for yourself and our babies ok. I'll be home very soon. I love you queen."

Thoughts?

We are nearing the end of this book, don't worry I will be publishing a sequel which is already in the works 😉

title & book cover for the sequel (made by me)

Bakari facing up to 25 years behind bars for Deija's death 😬

major time jump in the next chapter.

08/31/2022

720 words