Chapter 12 A Reputation

Ursula

"How thoughtful of you Triton, I'm surprised you took such initiative," I announce.
Triton and I are making our way back to the palace after I caught him and Athena together. Not even bothering to be discreet, he was holding her hand. Where any merman could see.
I had such a strong desire to turn Athena into a polyp. A sad, disgusting looking creature from the beauty she clearly was. I hated to admit she was beautiful. It made me despise her more.
It's no wonder Triton became so enamored with her. It might be fortuitous of me but I hope that my catching them together will drive a wedge between them. The red-haired mermaid provided an excellent excuse—so she thought.
Having her watch while I marry the prince, it would be torturous for her. She would have to watch any chance of her and my fiancé together, wash away. To have her sing at our wedding? Oh, that would provide a sweet revenge for Tritons' infidelity. Having Triton witness his mistress's heart break as he says his vows to me.
"Oh, um, yes. I should at least contribute something. How are the wedding arrangements going?" Triton asks, his tone laced with nervous energy.
"My mother is seeing to it that everything is taken care of. Though I'll be sure to pass along your contribution," I smile.
"Oh no, if Pandora had already found a singer—"
"Nonsense, she will be so pleased to have any addition made by you. She asked about you earlier when I went to see her."
"Oh, did she?" Triton looks ahead into the city that begins to come into view.
Atlantica is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Not that there are many cities in the ocean. It's just, the sight is something to behold.
"Yes, wondering where you've been running off to everyday. I'll be happy to tell her the reason is you were searching for the perfect singer for our wedding." I try to reach for his attention but he keeps his eyes trained off me.
"Ah, of course." He ends our conversation there.
I want to ask more questions. My mind racing with a multitude of ways to make him feel guilty. I know what he has been doing and find us a singer was not anywhere in that narrative.
He's been running off falling in love with another.
It was clear as day when I intruded on them.
Triton has never once looked at me the way he was looking at Athena. I thought about the pain I felt when I looked into the images my eels had sent to me.
No, that wasn't real pain. The real heartbreak I felt seeing those two together, right in front of my own eyes? Hands interlocked as lovers do?
That was heartbreak. That was pain.
Thanks to my acting prowess, I believe I fooled them to see my pain as nothing more than curiosity. What am I to do? I still love Triton dearly. At least, I think that's what I still feel. My emotions towards Triton are passionate but lately I've felt a shift. Is it me? Is it him?
How can I be granted his attention? Especially when he rather be miles away from the Palace—from me—with that floozy merwoman. I know I am not the most conventionally attractive but... I am beautiful still. Aren't I?
I look down at myself. The dark purple—almost black tentacles movie delicately across the ocean floor. Flotsam and Jetsam and weaving through them as if they were a field of seaweed. It must be in their nature I suppose. My nails are still a long-manicured red. Another small act of rebellion against my mother, not that she's noticed any. She's too caught up in planning to take notice of the small changes I have made.
My mother, Pandora, is so close to accomplishing what she's always wanted from me.
I recall a time when I was a child and she would rattle on about how wonderful it might be if the Prince and I were to fall in love. She was always encouraging me to spend time with him. Was my love for Triton ever truly real? Or was that again, my mother's doing?
"Ursula?" Triton asks in a melancholy voice.
I straighten myself up, and respond, "Yes, my Prince?"
"Remember when we were children... and..." he starts.
"Yes?"
"You were my best friend, you know?"
"Yes," I blush. "I remember I would trail behind you any chance I could."
"I was always trying to get away from all those mergirls who'd chase me."
I scowl, "they were bothersome, weren't they?"
Triton laughs, "they were always scared of you though. Helped keep them back when we grew closer as friends."
"I was a child. Not much I could do to them with the little knowledge I had."
"You were powerful, even then, we all could sense it."
"Ha! That didn't stop some from bullying me," I scoffed. "I was nothing but a witch to some. A thing that Atlantica needed to be rid of."
"You we're not bullied. I would have done something about that if you were," he states matter of fact.
I looked at him, with an eyebrow raised. "You we're too busy with the other merchildren to notice. Besides, they were sure to never display such cruel behaviors in your presence."
"I didn't know that," he tells me solemnly.
"Times are different now," I say.
"Oh?"
"Yes, now I am the powerful sea witch they feared I was. They can't hurt me anymore, but I can hurt them."
"Ursula—"
"Don't worry Triton, I have no intention of hurting anyone." I stop our advancement and turn us towards each other. A look of worry washes over his face and he quickly tries to hide it. "Only those that have done me wrong," I threaten.
"Done you wrong?" He says slowly. "What do you mean?"
My tone grows cold, "Those that cross me. Those who seek to ruin me. Tarnish my reputation. Any and all who purposely try to hurt me or get in the way of what I want."
"That sounds almost like a threat, Ursula."
"Hmm, I suppose it does," I ponder. "Best you remember that."
His face turns dark and I see the anger creeping up inside him. Good. I want him to feel things. Any form of passion I can get from this merman. He clearly does not love me. Admitting so hurts like fine needles through my heart. If he won't stay loyal to me by love. Then perhaps I can make him fear the alternative.
"Probably best Athena remembers as well."
I turn back towards the city, continuing on my way.
Triton does not follow. He stays there in place and I don't dare to look back.
Once I've gained enough distance from him, I look down on my expectant looking eels still tangled in my tentacles. They look up and meet my waiting eyes.
"I need you boys to keep a close eye on Triton and that merwoman, Athena. We need to keep them separated. Do whatever means necessary to keep them apart."