Chapter 14 Letters to my Love

Ursula

I've decided to stop wallowing in pity and do something about my current predicament. Triton may not love me, nor might he ever. What I will not have though, is my prince loving another.
I have to do something about that mermaid Triton is obsessed with, and occupying all my time with the wedding and my dealings is not granting me such ability to take care of the problem.
This realization came to me at dinner. My mother made sure all of us were gathered for the meal, King Poseidon and his son, my betrothed, Prince Triton. My sister attempted to make idle prattles amongst us. The only one really entertaining her was my mother and Poseidon. Triton and I, however, kept quiet for the majority of the meal. I kept stealing glances, hoping to catch his eyes waiting to meet mine. It was all for naught. Not once did he glance my way, too intrigued by the sea grapes and wakame on his plate. You would think the two sea vegetables were in a race for how often they circled around the dish from the push of his silverware.
As I sat and stared at Triton, I couldn't help but speculate what it was about him I found so fascinating about him in the first place. He was handsome, strong and lean, his face chiseled like a god. Considering his father was one, that wasn't too surprising. All these traits seemed so superficial, I had to wonder what else about him I enjoyed aside from how pleasant he was to look at. He could be funny, or at least he tried to, most often he was far too serious. He had a dramatic temper at times, something I had enjoyed pushing him to. Perhaps I was attracted to that heat within him, how it made my blood boil when we had arguments. It was fun.
What wasn't fun was witnessing this pathetic looking merman playing with his food. He looked utterly defeated and though I tried to feel pleased that I was the cause of his encumbrance. Unfortunately, all I felt was sadness and disappointment. He was a demigod who was so easily defeated. Like a child, I took away his toy and now he sat and pouted about the palace.
Pathetic.
I remember when we were younger and I was told repeatedly by my mother to play with the prince. "Spend all your time with him," she would say. "Stay by his side," she would remind me. In hindsight, perhaps I was roused into believing I was in love with him. You spend enough time with someone, you're bound to develop feelings for them, right? That certainly wasn't the case for Triton's feelings towards me. What did he feel for me? Animosity? Did the prince hate me? I doubted the latter but lately I couldn't be too sure. He seemed indifferent at least.
Was everything I felt for him a lie? Were my mother's whispers all too encouraging a false feeling of love? I don't know. It hurts to think she would manipulate me in such a way that I would develop a love that would never be reciprocated. A false hope that Triton may love me in return just as fiercely as I did him. What a joke. Maybe I am the pathetic one after all.
I decided then and there that I needed to get rid of that leech of a merwoman. Clearly love was Tritons downfall and I would not have a husband, nor a king, fall so easily from grace.  My only option was to eliminate the threat.
Athena.
I may have to trick her into joining my sea garden. Or perhaps make Triton believe she chose to end her existence herself. That might make his heart harden to stone. No longer would love become a hinderance to him. Since he clearly cannot love me, I will ensure he will respect me.
I'm the daughter of the most powerful sea witch after all. My power may soon surpass my mother Pandora's. Since taking souls as bargaining, I feel a stronger thrum in my bones. A vibration that feels like power. At times it feels all consuming, like my power is seconds away from bursting.
Now when my temper flares, so does my magic.
Our wedding is drawing near and I've yet to solidify a plan. At this point I'm not sure what I want anymore. I'm hurt over Triton wanting to be with another but also confused as to how long I went without seeing the truth. The prince would never love me, he never had, as desperately I tried to convince myself otherwise. My mother hadn't helped matters by feeding me sweet lies. Making me believe we were meant to be, a perfect match. That couldn't be farther from the truth now that my eyes have opened and cleared the haze of this façade.
Sweet, sweet lies they were. Perhaps I am the pathetic one out of all of this, not Triton.
Oh well, there is one thing I refuse to give up—becoming Queen of Atlantica. I will sit on that throne if it's the last thing I do. Prove to everyone that I can and will be the better queen. What possibly could Athena know of how to rule a kingdom? She's a simple teacher. Giving lessons on music to young merchildren. I wonder if she's only wooed Triton as a means to escape her simpleton life. I would not be surprised.
"Flotsam! Jetsam!" I call out to my eels. They appear circumspectly to my side.
"Yessss, Ursula?" they both hum.
"Discover any new developments with our bothersome merwoman?" I ask.
"Nothing new—"
"To report."
"Anything on Triton then?"
"The prince appears to be quite forlorn,"
"He does not eat or sleep."
"What else is new?" I mutter and roll my eyes.
"The prince has been writing," Flotsam offers.
"Writing?"
"Yes, letters," Jetsam adds.
"To whom I can only assume is his devoted mistress?" I ask exasperatedly.
"Love,"
"Letters perhaps."
"Addressed to 'my love' they are."
"I want you to intercept them. Bring the letters to me."
"As you wish, Ursula," the eels say in unison.
"If they're planning something, I have to know," I say aloud to myself and to the walls of my lair.