17 //

Miraya is asked to meet Shray in his house through a goddamn text with a period. When she is questioned by the nosy security at his gate, she almost rolls her eyes. She is pissed that Shray is acting like he rules the world. Maybe when people become famous, they're more susceptible to arrogance.

She is let through when she says her name and mentions why she is here. Miraya wants this interview to be in a formal place. Nothing that will allow her to get too comfortable. But as soon as she steps inside the house, she flushes her thoughts down the toilet.

Shray's house is beautiful. He has chosen a basic colour palette: Black, grey, white. There is a parking shed for his car on the left, beyond which is a well-maintained lawn. There are no potted plants but there are bushes with pretty flowers and fancy-looking climbers creeping up the grey walls. She smiles at that. Shray never liked potted plants. He preferred plants to be rooted in the ground.

Miraya walks to his house and before she can knock or ring the bell, the door opens. Shray's in a navy shirt and cream-coloured trousers. His hair is fresh out of the shower, not dripping but drenched. He smells like soap and musk.

"Hi," he says.

"Hi," she responds.

Shray opens his mouth to say something but decides against it. He scratches the back of his neck and opens the door wider. "Come in."

Miraya suddenly feels self-aware and conscious. Almost shy. Stepping into his house seems like invading his privacy but she tells herself it's okay. It's not like she is uninvited.

She sits on the incredibly soft couch, her back stiff. She wants to lean back but she doesn't.

"Can I get you something to drink? Coffee or Hot chocolate?"

"Coffee, thanks."

This is so awkward. She doesn't understand why. Miraya has been friends with him for years and was casual and authoritative when they met three months back. What's gone wrong?

She takes the time to look around the house. Minimal art frames on the wall. Grey curvy-striped rug on the floor. Furnished tea table in black with a glass top. Grey couches with white cushions. A cushioned rocking chair, the colour of cement. White marble floors and white walls. A shelf full of DVDs.

But there are some things missing.

No TV in the living room. No grand chandelier lights. No home decor. No clock.

She glances at the kitchen. The only thing visible to her is Shray's arms resting upon the black marble counters. There is one other room on the ground floor, just next to the winding stairs. She has a feeling his room is on the top floor. The last time she had seen his room in his parent's house, it had colourful movie posters and pictures of popular actors, a pokemon laundry basket and a Popeye-themed cloth hanger.

Their favourite cartoons were Popeye and Ben 10. Cartoon Network was their world after school. Every evening after school, she would go to Shray's or he would come to her place and they'd do their homeworks quickly so that they could stay glued to their seats in front of the TV for the rest of their evening. Thinking about it brings a certain warmth to her heart. She feels fuzzy.

"Here," Shray says, handing over a pastel green mug of coffee.

Miraya takes a sip.

"Is the sugar okay? I know you take extra sugar but I wasn't sure if you still liked it that way," he says.

"It's perfect, thank you." The sugar is a bit too much but this was the first time Shray was making her coffee so she didn't comment.

"How have you been?" Shray asks, sitting on the couch across from hers.