Chapter 8 - The latin Connection.

Every morning should start with fresh Colombian coffee and a cloud of nice smoke. I have to put up with the remains at the bottom of this jar of instant. At Least I got the nice smoke. I’d much prefer a Cuban cigar but in this city that isn’t gonna happen. Beggars can’t be choosers I guess. well, that’s if you don’t have Latin connections of cause.

The devil was a bit of a prick last night,  trust him to have an uptight British accent. To be honest I wasn’t expecting anything less.

So anyway, I got to the bottom of the Trident killer.  It turns out it is Luiz Hernandez on a vendetta, delivered from the king of hell himself. I won't be  surprised if that El Gordo prick is next...
Wait...
That’s it...
That’s how I’ll lure him in...
I just need to know the whereabouts of that asshole.
“Where’s my phone...”

(Hawke rummages around in his pockets and on his bed for his phone. Why is it that when you need something, it's never where you last put it? He eventually finds it, as it was wedged between the wall and his mattress as if the bed had begun to gobble it up. Immediately he begins to dial for Sinclair. The call begins to ring out But it did not ring for long, not even one dial tone sounded as it was Instantly answered, as if Sinclair had been holding her phone in her hand, anticipating Hawkes call...)

“What the hell Hawke, where the fuck have you been? We’ve had the whole precinct on high alert.” “We even sent search party’s out and you just ring up. Have you checked the calendar? It’s been two days.”

(Sinclair sounded very confused and also a bit worried. she began to start gibbering In a high-pitched quibble, which could only be compared to a giant turkey. Hawke removes the phone from his ear, places it on loudspeaker and plonks it down on his dresser. He then lies back in his bed as he goes into his pockets for his cigarettes. He then pulls one out and lights it, as he hears the constant squabbling coming from his phone.)

About 3 minutes pass.

“You’re not even listening, are you Hawke?”

(Hawke exhales a final toke of his cigarette and stubs it out in the crystal Ashtray. The same crystal Ashtray he’d pinched from the wishing well when he first found his unconditional love for cigarettes and cheap booze, which was placed on his dresser.)

“Well, I was just letting you Finish, so we can get down to business. 2 days you say? Jeez it felt like a few hours. But I’ve got some info on the Trident killer and you’re not gonna believe where I’ve been. To be honest, I can’t.”
“Meet me in Joy’s diner. I fancy a nice breakfast and some fresh coffee.”
“After the night I’ve had I’m gonna need it.”

(Sinclair let out a sigh, the tension lifted from her shoulders, as she now knew her partner was safe, but she responded quite curiously; as for her, Hawke seemed to be in a rather peculiar mood .)

“Yeah, sure Hawke, you ok? You seem a bit different.”

(Hawke replies avoiding any questions,  with a straight-to-the-point answer.)

“Yeah, just meet me there.”

(Hawke ends the call. He then stands up, still dressed from the night before, clothes still a bit damp and a blood-stained bandage wrapped around his fist. He reaches for his hat and places it on his head. He then grabs his gun and badge, equips them, opens his apartment door and leaves en route to Joy’s diner.)

I need to find El Gordo; it won’t be easy. He’s possibly on high alert from all the gangs that have been slaughtered. With what he did to the Hernandez family it only makes sense that we go after him. I need to find someone willing to tip me off.

(Hawke reaches the entrance to his apartment complex, his car was still outside joys diner from the night of the set-up, so he waves down a taxi. luckily the taxis were always stationed on the corner, praying on any poor person stranded in this unforgiving weather. Hawke climbs in a taxi, as it pulled in almost instantly.)

“Joy’s diner”

(Hawke says to the driver, as He pulls out a cigarette from the carton in his pocket, He then rolls down the window just a jar so the smoke would escape. The driver tuts and shakes his head as he seems to take good care of his taxi. He even had a hoola girl stuck to his dashboard. But the driver excepts the smoke lingering fate of his workplace and continues en route to the destination.)

(Hawke reaches the diner, slips the driver some change and steps out of the vehicle. He then proceeds to the entrance as his belly was giving off an unusual growl. He walks in.
The aromatic waves of his childhood invade his lungs. The aroma infects him, as a slight smile grows on his face. The scent of ground coffee and warm apple pie surrounds him as he takes a seat in a booth by the window. A young woman walks over to take his order.)

“Hi Hawke, what could we do you for?”

The young woman says as Hawke responds with a slight grin on his face.

“Oh, hi Sal, how is your mother? Is she well? I’ll have a large coffee and a big slice of whatever pie is giving off that amazing smell.”

The place was like Switzerland, one of few areas in the city; where if you had a vendetta, you would not breach this safe zone. Outside the walls however, you could not say the same.

“Yeah, she’s doing great, she’s currently in the kitchen fixing up some new ideas for pies, I’ll see if she’s got some testers for you, as I know you love her cooking.”

(Sal took Hawkes order and walked over to the bar, ringing the bell and shouting the order across the diner to one of her other sisters. Hawk notices in the corner of his eye; a car pulling up outside; parking next to Hawkes vehicle that was parked in his usual spot. It was Sinclair, she looked over towards Hawke, shook her head and smiled.)

“Only you, Hawke.”

(Hawke could just hear her through the glass as she walked over to the door and entered.)

“Want some coffee.”

(Hawke shouts to Sinclair as she walks over and takes a seat at the booth.)

“Yeah sure, so Hawke, where have you been? I’ve been worried sick.”

(Hawke waves at Sal, as she was busy tending to another customer, and he begins to signal her to also bring a coffee for Sinclair.)

“You aren’t gonna believe me, I’ve been to the centre of hell and talked with the devil. It turns out this Trident; is a man raised from the dead on a vendetta to wipe out all the sinners in Brightburn. Yeah, like I said you won’t believe me.”

(Sinclair sat gobsmacked and called over Sal, as she knew a story like that; would need a little extra coffee to fathom.)

“Make that a large Sal.”

“Well, it’s kind of out there but, from what the M.E. told me about that abductor’s body, to be honest, anything could be true”

“Turns out that the head of the man was a makeup of about 7 different DNA samples from 7 different people and the Brain wasn’t even matching the flesh around it.”
“This thing that was abducting street workers was using their body parts to form its own.”

“So, you going to the centre of hell doesn’t seem too far from the truth”

(Sal came over and placed their coffee and Hawkes pie on the table.)

“Cheers Sal. So, what you’re saying is this thing is more like an entity. So, I’m pretty sure that’s not the last we’ve seen of him. The way the Trident just rolled its head across the floor, its possibly now got some sort of vendetta”
Hawke said whilst tucking into a large slice of apple pie. He then takes a sip of his coffee.
“But, This Trident fucker. It turns out it's Luiz Hernandez, sent by the devil on some sort of mission from hell; to cleanse the city. The devil referred to him as a flood and he’s not the only one that has been.”

“Apparently there been a long line of these Tridents, they are mentioned in the big book but only in stories full of metaphors. So, I’ve got a plan on how we can bring him down. But first, we need to find El Gordo before Luiz does”

(Sinclair’s ears prick up, she takes a sip of her coffee and replies.)

“El Gordo? That prick? I went to school with him as a kid. He was just a bully. I think I know where we can get information on him. Let’s just call it the Latino connection”

(Sinclair jumps to her feet, and pulls her phone out, as she walks over to the entrance. She dials a number; she then begins to speak Spanish to whoever was on the other end. Meanwhile, Hawke was tucking into his pie, when he got a glimpse of someone staring at him from the other side of the road; in the corner of his eye. Hawke turns his head. Let and behold, it was the same homeless man that has been popping up wherever Hawke went, with that same black dog.

Hawke quickly rushes to his feet and darts to the door, rushing past Sinclair, as he rips the door open.  He steps out of joys diner but in the blink of an eye, as well as the traffic rushing past, the man and his dog were gone. Hawke stands there for a second a bit puzzled as if he was seeing things as if his dreams and trip to hell may have been paying a toll on his mental health. He wipes his eyes but still, nobody was there. But alas, he then returns to his booth, to finish his pie.

Sinclair returned to the booth; a bit confused, as to why Hawke would just interrupt his own quest of demolition of joys fresh, homemade apple pie.)

“What was that about, you ok?
Sinclair said as she sat down in the booth. She then leans across and whispers to Hawke.
“Well, I’ve got a lead. We’ve got to meet them on the plaza strip by the clock tower.”

(Hawke quickly finishes his pie, and places the money on the table, leaving a generous tip, he shouts over to Sal, as she was busy wiping down the table of a former customer.)

“Thanks for the pie, I’ll see you soon.”

“Yeah, see you soon Hawke, I’ll tell my mum to send you over some testers.”

(Sal said as she continues to clean tables and pour coffee for customers.

Hawke and Sinclair walk out of the diner and make their way over to Hawkes car.

Hawke opens the vehicle and they both climb in, he then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a cigarette, he places it between his lips and lights it.

Sinclair rolls down her window, even with the rain pouring down, she’d rather be wet than inhale the passive smoke. Hawke selects drive and pulls out from Joy’s diner and continues to the clock tower.)

(Minutes pass. Hawke pulls up at the end of the plaza strip, about a hundred yards from the base of the Clock tower.)

“Pap the horn twice Hawke.”
Sinclair said whilst looking around for anyone suspicious.
“Then once again after 3 seconds”

(She said to Hawke; as if it was some sort of code.

Hawke does so, seconds later his rear door opens, and in steps, a young Mexican man hooded up and wearing shades. Sunglasses In this weather only meant one thing: this person was an informer.)

“What can you tell us about El Gordo, Chico?”
Sinclair said, whilst peering at him through the rear-view mirror.

“We need to find his whereabouts.”

(The young man looked very edgy; with a constant twitch over his shoulder, as if he was being watched.)

“All I can tell you is; he’s on high alert, word on the street is the devil, or whatever the thing ripping through the city, is coming for all the gangs and crooked cops”

“He’s in a lock-up, but I don’t know the whereabouts, I’ve got to be quick as he’s got watchmen patrolling the streets.”

“Fine, thanks Chico”

(The informer Steps out of the vehicle. just as he gets to the curb; a blacked-out van skidded about 50 yards from where Hawkes’ car was stationed. The van's side door slides open. Hawke was witness to what looked like; a young boy. The boy was looking about 14 years old; As he began to open fire on them.

Hawke and Sinclair take cover as the informer slips away down a back alley; the black van closes the side door and goes to drive off. Hawke turns to Sinclair and shouts.)

“Looks like we’ve got a scent, let’s get after them!”

(As the van speeds off, Hawke begins to chase it through the city.

The driver of the van gets sight of Hawke tailing them. The back door of the van swings open and begins to open fire on Hawke’s vehicle.

Hawke removes his gun from his holster and hangs it out the window returning fire. Meanwhile, Sinclair is on the intercom calling for backup.)

“WE GOT A CHASE ON 52 AND 8TH JUST PAST THE CLOCK TOWER ON CENTRAL PLAZA, SUSPECT IS OPENING FIRE.”

(Cars driving past blasting their horns as some pedestrians lose control of their vehicles. The chase continues as they run 3 red lights, civilians began to jump out of the way; to evade the speeding van. Hawke, while firing his gun trying to knock out the tires, shouted to Sinclair.)

“Don’t just sit there Books, try to take out the tires!!”

(Sinclair leans out of the vehicle and begins to open fire. Her aim was surprisingly good as she managed to burst the rear tyre sending the van into a spin.

The van spins out of control and plummets into the window of an abandoned store. Hawke rips up the handbrake and slides into the middle of the road. The car comes to a stop as he jumps out of the vehicle and approaches the van.

Hawke hears Mumbles and struggling coming from the van. He opens the van door with his pistol drawn but to his surprise, the gang members were merely children looking to be about 17 years old.)

“Sinclair, call it in.”

“Get a paramedic, the driver wasn’t wearing his seat belt.”

(Hawke slides open the side door, but he’s met with the horrific scenes as 3 young men weren’t too lucky, the crash looked fatal.)

“Will get the two in the front fixed up and start the interrogation, I’m sure they’ll know where the lock-up is.”

(The paramedics arrive along with a few patrol cars.  The paramedics pull the young men out of the van and wheel them into the back of the ambulance. luckily, they didn’t have to be cut out, as the face of the shop was more affected due to the steel box that crusaded into it.
Hawke and Sinclair jump into Hawkes vehicle and follow the blue lights closely.
As they were able to run every red light, they arrived at the hospital within minutes.
Hawke and Sinclair follow the boys in as the paramedics wheel them through to the emergency room.)

Fucking punks, this El Gordo prick employing kids to do his dirty work, they should be in school or college building a future; to get out of this hell hole.
If I could turn back time, I would have done it a long time ago.

“Books, go get us a coffee, I’ll keep an eye on the suspects.”

(Hawke said as he was following the paramedics through the emergency room, Sinclair responds.)

“Yeah sure, 2 sugar’s?”

(Hawke nods his head, as he follows the paramedics; as they wheel one of the young drivers into a bay, and wire him up to a monitor. Hawke pulls the curtain around the bed as the paramedics leave.)

“Listen you little shit.”

(The young man lay there stirring, muttering some Mumbled sleep talk.)

“Where can I find El Gordo”

(Hawke said, as the young boy’s heart starts to race.  the heart monitor starts to bleep faster. Then the young boy begins to mutter in a panic.)

“We need to report back at... you need to let us go, he’s gonna kill us...”

(The young man says as tears start to fill his eyes.)

“Where”

(Hawke says as he leans in close.)

“Unit 5...”
“On the docks...”
“Please, you have got to let us go...”

(Hawke rushes out and yanks the curtain shut, Sinclair was approaching him with two coffees.)

“Put them down Sinclair, I’ve got a lead, we need to get to the docks.
There is a lead at unit 5.
Possibly some kind of recruitment team.
When we get there, I can guarantee we will find El Gordo...”

(Hawke and Sinclair rush out of the hospital and jump into Hawkes vehicle.
Hawke pulls out a smoke and lights it, he then selects drive and pulls away with the wheels smoking.)