CHAPTER THREE, shazam & skyvolt

"This is our security scanner." Darla explains to Devyn and Billy the next day at school. "Like at an airport. It's totally safe."

Billy nods. "We know what it is." He glances at Eugene and Pedro who stood by him. "Does she always do this?"

Eugene was busy playing with a video game, but Pedro nods and hums in response. "Silence makes me uncomfortable." Darla admitted.

Eugene rolls his eyes. "She's almost never uncomfortable."

Devyn walks after Billy once she got her backpack back from the security guard, smiling slightly when she saw Darla hugged Billy. "Have a good first day, big brother."

Billy pushes her away. "Look, you don't have to hug me all the time." He shrugs. "We're not actually brother and sister so."

Darla frowns and looks down sadly. "I'm sorry."

Devyn stands by Billy, watching Darla walk over to where Freddy stood in the hallway with a frown on her face. "Hey." Freddy greeted her and she greeted him back in a sad tone.

Billy looks at Freddy with regret. "I didn't mean to make her cry." Freddy waved a dismissive hand, reassuring Billy it was okay.

"Great job, B." Devyn comments, using the nickname she only only used, crossing her arms. "You made that sweet little girl cry on our first day of school here."

"I didn't mean to." Billy admitted.

Devyn sighs, throwing her arm around his shoulders. "It's alright. Let's get to class."

****

At lunch that day, Devyn sat by Billy at a lunch table that was empty besides them. Until Freddy walked over and joined them. "Flight or invisibility?" Freddy suddenly asked.

Devyn raises her eyebrows. "What?"

"If you could have one superpower." Freddy said. "Flight or invisibility? What would you guys pick? I mean, everybody chooses flight. And you know why?"

"So they could fly away from this conversation?" Billy remarked, wincing when Devyn kicked his ankle under the table.

"No, 'cause heroes fly." Freddy corrects him. "And who doesn't want people to think they're a hero, right? But invisibility, no way." As he continues to ramble, Devyn and Billy get done with their lunches and got up to throw their trash away and put away the tray. "I mean, that's pervy. Spying around on people who don't even know you're there. Sneaking around everywhere, total villain power, right?" He grimaced when he realized he said that a bit too loud since the cafeteria grew quiet and everyone was looking at him. Things went back to normal as he got up and followed Devyn and Billy.

"Then, they did this study, and this is a real thing. They asked people the same question: 'What superpower do you want?'. But this time, they do it so the answers were anonymous." Freddy continues. "And-And most people since they knew were secret, they chose invisibility. And I think that's because 'cause most people don't feel like heroes on the inside deep down. You're running away." Freddy noticed as Billy stopped at the bathroom.

"I mean, one of you stole my Superman bullet." Billy exchanged a look with Devyn.

"And dudes, I get it. I get it. You guys survived being screwed over way too many times. You don't trust anyone. That's the thing with invisibility, you'll end up by yourself."

"We didn't steal your dumb bullet." Billy muttered. He then opened the bathroom door and walked in.

"Devyn-" Freddy calls out to Devyn as she began walking down the hallway to her locker. "Look, I'm sorry."